MTT assay problems, while testing anticancer activity
Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:55 AM
I don't like the MTT assay. I had troubles too to get it running. Additionally, I think it is a bad measure of cell viability, since it greatly depends on the metabolic status of the cells. Try the Sulphorhodamine B assay. That's what I use to do assays like yours.
Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:11 AM
Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:32 AM
I am just not able to know why this problem occurs, am a rookie who is just interested in cell culture and cancer biology.
The procedure i followed was,
1) plate the 96 wells, and incubate for 24hrs
2) Add my extract at different concentrations and incubate for 24hrs.
3) Centrifuge and remove the supernatant
4) add mtt and incubate for 4hrs and dissolve in isopropanol
5) Read at 490nm
if there is any errors please suggest, also my extract is very viscous and thick like a paste, i dissolved it in water and DMSO separately, filtered them through 0.45micron syringe filter and used it.
My tutor says its the problem with the extract.
See doing centrifugation is bit risky as with the removal of media the formazan cytal can be removed. what we do is we add the 10ul of MTT(stock 5mg/ml) then keep it for 3 hr and then to the same we add solubilization buffer (20%SDS, 50%DMF).
further we take the OD at 570/650 after 1hr.
if you want the detailed protocol then let me know, i will mail you that.
Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:12 PM
Your handling protocol has too many steps and that's where you introduce variation in the results.
Another more affordable option is resazurin (Tradename Alamar Blue, but buy in bulk from Sigma and prepare yourself):
Principal Consultant, Molecular and Cell Biology
Phone: (518) 334-0922
P.O. Box 13019
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:37 PM
Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:10 PM