• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Can ligation mix be stored for 1 month in -20'C

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lab_member

lab_member

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:55 PM

I am just curious whether a ligation mix can be used after storage for 1 month in -20'C (freezer).

One of my lab colleagues used the ligation mix for transformation then screened for colonies by colony PCR. The result was that there was no inserts. She actually used the same ligation mix when it was 'fresh' and got quite a lot of inserts.

Do you think that the DNA has already degraded even i -20'C?

#2 Nrelo

Nrelo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 March 2009 - 12:02 AM

I am just curious whether a ligation mix can be used after storage for 1 month in -20'C (freezer).

One of my lab colleagues used the ligation mix for transformation then screened for colonies by colony PCR. The result was that there was no inserts. She actually used the same ligation mix when it was 'fresh' and got quite a lot of inserts.

Do you think that the DNA has already degraded even i -20'C?

i think the problem is due to the polymerase rather than DNA. DNA itself is quite stable in-20C. But the polymerase is only stable in its storage buffer when it is in -20C

#3 lab_member

lab_member

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:25 AM

i think the problem is due to the polymerase rather than DNA. DNA itself is quite stable in-20C. But the polymerase is only stable in its storage buffer when it is in -20C

Actually the polymerase she used is stored in storage buffer. The ligation mix is of the plasmids and the ligase... I don't think it is the problem of the polymerase as there were primer dimers...so I don't what what went wrong...

#4 Nrelo

Nrelo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2009 - 01:28 AM

I misread you post ;) . but anyway, I once stored my ligation mix in 4C for 2 weeks and it worked fine

Edited by Nrelo, 29 March 2009 - 02:09 AM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.