• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Red blood cells

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WHR

WHR

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2009 - 04:06 AM

Do human red blood cells contain rough ER?
I think they don't.
Since RBC do not contain nucleus, which form continuous membranous structure with the rough ER, both nucleus and rER may be absent in the RBC.
If this is true, RBC can not secret proteins. And all proteins they synthesize are not glycosylated.

#2 BHARGAVI

BHARGAVI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2009 - 08:47 PM

I dont think RBCs are synthesize any proteins or need to secret any proteins. Its functions include oxygen transport and some sought of creation of immune response by releasing free radicals when the RBC gets ruptured. Free radicals in turn denatures the antigenic cells. Thats it.

I would like to add some more information regarding the role of RBCs in protein secretion or manufacturing, to my knowledge pool.

Thanks.

#3 Doki

Doki

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2009 - 10:22 PM

Am not sure about ER system but it is not correct to say that RBCs do not have nucleus. They have nucleus but are lost during maturation. Their membranes are also glycosylated - as for example the ABO antigens.
Simple living, highnot thinking

#4 WHR

WHR

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2009 - 11:05 PM

Am not sure about ER system but it is not correct to say that RBCs do not have nucleus. They have nucleus but are lost during maturation. Their membranes are also glycosylated - as for example the ABO antigens.

Yes, but I meant mature RBC. Maybe mature RBC no longer need to synthesize proteins. (?)
Without nucleus, no mRNA can be produced.

#5 BHARGAVI

BHARGAVI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:43 PM

RBC can not afford to be engaged with protein synthesis. It will lead to increase in their mass, which in turn will hinder the other functions of RBCs. Structurally and functinally RBCs are made for oxygen transport.

#6 siva20006

siva20006

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 April 2009 - 09:26 PM

matured RBC has ER...But other components such as platelets has ER, Mitochondria....

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.