• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Difference in RT PCR products when using total RNA or mRNA

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 helene

helene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 May 2002 - 08:14 AM

Hi everybody!

Since several months, I perform a RTPCR using 12 g of total RNA as template for RT. For the PCR I used 2l of the RTproduct. The RTPCR worked very well and gave 5 bands .3 of them were cloned. surprisingly, the 2 others could'nt been cloned.

Since one week, I use 1g mRNA (isolated with the kitmicrofast track form invitrogen)as template for the RT and I use similar  quantities  of cDNA as previously but I obtain poor amounts of PCR products and the bands that I couldn't clone before disapear.

Does someone have a solution or explication for this problem? ?Thank you very much

??helene

#2 milanoj

milanoj

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 May 2002 - 09:19 AM

The extra bands you are seeing may be an artifact of gDNA contamination. No RNA isolation method is perfect. When you isolate mRNA the contamination disappears. Were you expecting all these bands? I would isolate the extra bands then reamplify them to get enough for cloning. Or sequence them without cloning.

#3 helene

helene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 May 2002 - 06:53 AM

Hi Milanoj!

I've already tried isolating the bands of the gel and reamplify them .But when I do this, I obtain all the five bands as if I've not isolated the bands of interest. The negative controls of RT (PCR with RNA and RTPCR without reverse transcriptase) are negative...so I think that there are'nt genomic contamination!

helene

#4 scogne

scogne

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 May 2002 - 10:15 PM

Hi,

I think the 2 bands you got are due to one oligo amplification only. Did you try to check them separately on the total RNA cDNA?

#5 Sambucus

Sambucus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2004 - 07:25 AM

Have you tried a DNAse treatment? You could specifically eliminate any contaminating genomic DNA before the reverse transcription.

The occurance of DNA in a total RNA isolate usually means you are using too many cells. Try using less tissue, or more extracting media.

Increasing the annealing temperature in the PCR reaction can dramatically reduce any artefacts from the amplification, due to mispriming.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.