• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

PBS buffer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ecoli0157

Ecoli0157

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

I have been having some trouble with contamination of my plates.
I swirled 10X PBS stock that I used to make inoculum and saw particles that form tornado-like shape.
Looks similar to bacterial growth, but I don't think bacteria can grow in it without any nutrient. Its just salt solution.
So, I was wondering it may be just the salt precipitating out of solution upon temperature fluctuations or something.
And if it is really the salt precipitation, can I just use it like that? Re-autoclave? Filter?

I await your suggestions.

Thanks

#2 BHARGAVI

BHARGAVI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

It has been observed by me that sometimes PBS preparation contains spores. But in your case, there is little possibility of growth of any spores as there is no nutrition. One thing you can do to avoid the presence of precipitates of salts or colony like tornado-like shapes, is you can filter the PBS just before use with 0.5 or 0.2 micron filter.

Heat sterilization sometimes cause the salts of PBS to precipitate out. Better avoid it.

#3 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:55 AM

Cyanobacteria and single cell algae can grow in the PBS.
I don't think that thy can in x10 because of the osmolarity.

We always filter sterilize it in any case.

#4 seashell83

seashell83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:03 AM

I have a question here, i recently made a 10x stock of PBS like i do usually and after making it i filter sterlized it using a 0.2 micron membrane and kept it at 4 degree in a clean container, the next morning i saw formation of crystals in my PBS which has never happened before - so now i tried to mix the crystals back into solution but its not goin in even being a RT for an hour... - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 seashell83

seashell83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

The PBS i made is without Ca or Mg

#6 BHARGAVI

BHARGAVI

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2009 - 11:01 PM

Its nothing but salt precipitates. The way you add and dissolve the salts and sequence of addition also matters for the quality of PBS.

#7 aimikins

aimikins

Sunflower

• Global Moderators
  • 117 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:34 AM

I've seen bacterial contamination in PBS. it's true that there's not much in there, but you can still see contamination. I would FS your stocks for sure, or autoclave.
"it is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education" -A.E.

#8 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 27 March 2009 - 01:02 PM

I have a question here, i recently made a 10x stock of PBS like i do usually and after making it i filter sterlized it using a 0.2 micron membrane and kept it at 4 degree in a clean container, the next morning i saw formation of crystals in my PBS which has never happened before - so now i tried to mix the crystals back into solution but its not goin in even being a RT for an hour... - HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!

Try putting your 10x stock PBS into a water bath at 68C or a hybridisation incubator set at 68C. It should go into solution
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#9 rkay447

rkay447

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 177 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

PBS is so cheap and easy to make, you might have gotten a decimal point off and added too much of one of the salts. It's much easier, faster and safer (in the sense of your experiments working) to get rid of the questionable PBS and make a new batch.

#10 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2009 - 05:05 AM

PBS is so cheap!!!
Why don't you just buy it??

#11 memo

memo

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 March 2009 - 03:15 AM

Be sure you use good water to dissolve the salts of 10x PBS.
After autoclave sterilization I once saw a precipitate! It seems that the DI water installation has broken down and my water contained to much carbonates or something!

At 4 degrees celsius your salts precipitate and form christals. Heat it up again and they dissapear.

#12 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 2,758 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:56 AM

are you sure that the glassware that you stored it in is not contaminated with cations or detergents?

if there is calcium present (from rinsing with tap water instead of deionized, or if the deionizer is exhausted) then you may be seeing calcium phosphate precipitating (or magnesium phosphate if it was heated).
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.