• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Sequences of generally used plasmids?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dersven

dersven

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:44 AM

HI!
Is there a database containing (all) known and/or often used plasmids? Of course it would be good if this is downloadable in FASTA-Format.

Thanks in advance

#2 rkay447

rkay447

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2009 - 05:50 AM

HI!
Is there a database containing (all) known and/or often used plasmids? Of course it would be good if this is downloadable in FASTA-Format.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunantly, I've never heard of such a thing. I think it's because many vectors are either commercially made and you can find the information on the company's website or vectors are made in-house. My lab works with a number of different vectors that have been made/altered in the lab and therefore no one but members of the lab have access to the vector information. There are some commercial vectors that are proprietary information and the vector sequence/map is not even available. There was someone here looking for the map of pRARE2 and this belongs to novagen. Same thing with Invitrogen's pOG44. These companies are not going to release the vector sequence since they made/designed the vector for a specific reason and want to sell it. If they release the info, everyone could just make their own and not have to purchase it from the company.

#3 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,470 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:47 AM

Please do the world a favor. If you find it hard to locate sequence for a vector of this kind, please sequence it and deposit the sequnce in Genbank. I've done this several times, and it will make the job of the next person much easier.

#4 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:50 PM

Check genbank. Also check the sites of the companies that provide these commonly used plasmids. If you have Vector NTI, then youhave all the invitrogen plasmids sequences.

#5 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2009 - 01:32 AM

This is the list of all vectors listed in the NCBI VecScreen database.
It has pretty much all of them.

#6 leelee

leelee

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 652 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

My favourite is Addgene's vectorpedia.
Go to http://www.addgene.org , then click on the plasmid tools tab, then scroll down to vector data base

(link= http://www.addgene.o...md=listvecinfo)

I like it coz its easy to search, and I like the format.

#7 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,728 posts
Excellent

Posted 23 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

I just found this: Harvard plasmid database which seems to be pretty good.

#8 remy

remy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2009 - 03:13 AM

HI!

Thanks in advance

Unfortunantly, I've never heard of such a thing. I think it's because many vectors are either commercially made and you can find the information on the company's website or vectors are made in-house. My lab works with a number of different vectors that have been made/altered in the lab and therefore no one but members of the lab have access to the vector information. There are some commercial vectors that are proprietary information and the vector sequence/map is not even available. There was someone here looking for the map of pRARE2 and this belongs to novagen. Same thing with Invitrogen's pOG44. These companies are not going to release the vector sequence since they made/designed the vector for a specific reason and want to sell it. If they release the info, everyone could just make their own and not have to purchase it from the company.

Hi there, would anyone have poG44 plasmid I could try out in my transfections?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.