• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Obsolete...?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 GeorgeWolff

GeorgeWolff

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:33 AM

I'd not dwell of how you feel. Be specific about what you want - your goal to be a grad student and short term pay. The issue is your future - not the grad student.

#17 lab rat

lab rat

Why does a science forum not have pictures of mice and rats?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:04 PM

I agree with George, but differ with Roara--don't dwell on how you feel, but don't necessarily give the grad student a piece of your mind. Idiots typically measure out enough rope to hang themselves with. You just need to keep your composure and smile sweetly when he's being a jerk. Then, when he's mid-sentence, turn your back and ignore him. Repeat as necessary.

After 10 years, I have found that some grad students act like jerks to techs because they feel that they must prove themselves at all times, to all people. Techs are less threatening to them, and are frequently the only other person in the lab so no witnesses are involved. They don't know how to shut off the competitive drive and continue to act unprofessionally (bully) until stopped.

If your boss won't do it (or is also guilty), then discreetly call others' attention to it. Learn the office politics of your department, and figure out how to socialize with the other profs if possible. Try initiating friendships with other, friendlier grad students; they may help you get into a great grad student position in another lab. Not everyone judges a person's ability and worth simply by their GPA. A good work ethic from someone who gets on well with others is valued highly by many bosses.

lab rat
42..."An immutable fixed-precision number of unlimited magnitude." <a href="http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia....amming_language)</a>, accessed 25June2009.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.