• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Transfection of vectors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Travis

Travis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:18 AM

Hi, I am currently doing luciferase assay. I need to transfect B-gal, PGL-3 construct, PCDNA3 and some other vectors to MDA-MB-231 and T47D human breast tumor cell lines. I have been doing it with the MCF-7 cell line last week and it was totally fine. However this week I follow the same steps with the MBA-MD-231 and T47D cell lines but then I cant get the data. There just simply doesnt have any luciferase and B-gal protein in the cells. What are the possible problems in this? Is it because of low transfection efficiency? How can I optimize the experiment so I can get some data? Thanks very much!!

#2 genehunter

genehunter

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

I assume you used the same ratio of total DNA to whatever the transfection agent that you are using for both experiments. I dont have any experience with T47D, but MBA-MD-231 is as readily transfectable as MCF-7 on my hands. Be sure the toxicity is not overwhelming and the cell density is not too high. You can optimize it with fixed amount of cmv-luc vector or egfp vector, change the ratio of vector to transfection reagent. Use cells that are 70%-90% confluent at the time of transfection.

#3 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 March 2009 - 09:08 PM

I also used lucierase vectors with pcDNA3 and transfected into MCF7....

the process was very easy and I did calcium-phosphate transfection (not lipofectamin) ....in the end I did freeze-thaw to break the cells and extract the proteins (not any lysis buffer)...then I read the signal by a luminometer

I have the protocol somewhere, if you need it just let me know!

#4 Travis

Travis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 March 2009 - 05:11 AM

I also used lucierase vectors with pcDNA3 and transfected into MCF7....

the process was very easy and I did calcium-phosphate transfection (not lipofectamin) ....in the end I did freeze-thaw to break the cells and extract the proteins (not any lysis buffer)...then I read the signal by a luminometer

I have the protocol somewhere, if you need it just let me know!

Oh thank you! can you please give me the protocol?? I would love to give it a try... so I just need calcium phosphate to do the transfection?

#5 NemomeN

NemomeN

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:29 PM

Not all cells are transfectable with the same efficiency (or even at all). If you still have problems, you can try nucleofection (Amaxa)

#6 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

pm your e-mail to me because I can't send message to you, it says you have disabled your message service or something

Edited by Curtis, 09 March 2009 - 01:46 AM.

#7 cotchy

cotchy

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

Curtis could i get a copy of that protocol from you to?

Thanks very much.

Cotchy.

#8 Travis

Travis

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:09 AM

I assume you used the same ratio of total DNA to whatever the transfection agent that you are using for both experiments. I dont have any experience with T47D, but MBA-MD-231 is as readily transfectable as MCF-7 on my hands. Be sure the toxicity is not overwhelming and the cell density is not too high. You can optimize it with fixed amount of cmv-luc vector or egfp vector, change the ratio of vector to transfection reagent. Use cells that are 70%-90% confluent at the time of transfection.

Hi, may I ask what tranfection agent you use for your experiment?? I am currently using Polyfect from Qiagen and it doesnt work for MDA-MB231, but its alright for MCF-7. Thanks

#9 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:29 AM

Curtis could i get a copy of that protocol from you to?

Thanks very much.

Cotchy.

check your inbox

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.