• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Phospatase inhibitors needed for LDS Buffer?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zatler

zatler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

I am trying to look at the phosphorylation of the gene c-Met. I do not have a lot of experience with Westerns, however another lab is helping me out and they tell me to lyse cells in laemmli sample buffer and it stops all reactions including phophatases. However I have read in most cases people use RIPA buffers supplemented with protease and phophatase inhbitors.

Is it true that LDS sample buffer will stop all reactions including phosphatases which might cause the dephosphorylation of the gene I am trying to look at, C-met. Thanks

#2 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 March 2009 - 08:51 AM

You should add external phosphatase inhibitors during the lysis to prevent dephosphorylation before reaching addition of LDS buffer.

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#3 yobou

yobou

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 March 2009 - 09:11 PM

I always add commercial phosphatase inhibitor cocktail to lysis buffer.

#4 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2009 - 05:12 AM

If you use a "normal" lysis buffer you shoul add the inhibitors, but with laemli buffer you dont need them. You just have to lysis the cells directly in 1x lysis buffer, boil for 2 minutes, sonicate 2x15 sec, boil 5 minutes, and load the samples. In this way you can see most post-transcriptional modifications (phosphrylation, ubiquitination, sumoylation...)
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.