• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Shipping of cryopreseved cell

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 kahsiong

kahsiong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2009 - 12:35 AM

I need to ship a lot of cryopreseved cell oversea. Any suggestion on how to ship the cells. This cell currently is store in liquide nitrogen. Is it a mus to ship it with liquid nitrogen? I afraid it will be dangerous to ship with liquid nitrogen.

#2 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2009 - 02:46 AM

I need to ship a lot of cryopreseved cell oversea. Any suggestion on how to ship the cells. This cell currently is store in liquide nitrogen. Is it a mus to ship it with liquid nitrogen? I afraid it will be dangerous to ship with liquid nitrogen.

Shipping of cells is usually done in dry ice.
Contact any carrier (UPS/DHL/world carrier……) and they will do it.

#3 pito

pito

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 1,267 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

Have you concidered freezedrying them?
If you don't know it, then ask it! Better to ask and look foolish to some then not ask and stay stupid.

#4 kahsiong

kahsiong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

Shipping of cells is usually done in dry ice.
Contact any carrier (UPS/DHL/world carrier……) and they will do it.

Thanks for the reply. If ship in dry ice, I afraid the lost of cell viability, because all the way the cell is store in liquid nitrogen.

#5 kahsiong

kahsiong

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

I didn't have any freeze dring machine here.

#6 repeatcell

repeatcell

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:40 AM

Normally the cells are sent in dry-ice even if they are stored at liquid N2. This is a routine practice and I my-self have done it a lot of times without any appreciable loss of viability. Many institutes have a regular supply of dry-ice coming every day.

#7 Dr Teeth

Dr Teeth

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 221 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:02 AM

Dry ice will work just fine, unless Customs holds the package for a week :)

Science is simply common sense at its best that is rigidly accurate in observation and merciless to fallacy in logic.
Thomas Henry Huxley

#8 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

Contact a courier company and get them to tell you the IATA regulations for shipping. Basically, shipping in LN2 is not done by anyone as it is too dangerous from an explosion and/or suffocation point of view. Remember, handling of liquid nitrogen should only be done in an area with a larger volume than will be released by the volume you are handling (conversion is 1 litre of liquid will expand to 646 litres of gas) - would you want that on a plane?

As stated before, dry ice is fine for cells. After all you can store your cells at -80 deg C for quite some time before seeing a major loss of viability, and dry ice is at -78 ish

I have shipped cells to/from the UK to NZ (total flight time 30+ hours, not counting time in airports) on dry ice and they were fine for the 3-4 days transit. Make sure you get the courier company (I recommend World Couriers) to sort out the packaging so that you comply with IATA regulations, and to ensure that it is kept on dry ice and topped up in transit. Also make sure that they can pre-approve any import documents etc, so as to speed up time spent in customs.

#9 bachai

bachai

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

Freeze-drying = Lyophilization = removal of water from samples in the icy state under vacuum. Cells must be well dead after lyophilization.

#10 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:32 PM

eukaryotic cells will die during this process, but bacteria and yeast are quite happy with it.

#11 Astarte Biologics

Astarte Biologics

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 July 2009 - 12:30 PM

Contact a courier company and get them to tell you the IATA regulations for shipping. Basically, shipping in LN2 is not done by anyone as it is too dangerous from an explosion and/or suffocation point of view. Remember, handling of liquid nitrogen should only be done in an area with a larger volume than will be released by the volume you are handling (conversion is 1 litre of liquid will expand to 646 litres of gas) - would you want that on a plane?

As stated before, dry ice is fine for cells. After all you can store your cells at -80 deg C for quite some time before seeing a major loss of viability, and dry ice is at -78 ish

I have shipped cells to/from the UK to NZ (total flight time 30+ hours, not counting time in airports) on dry ice and they were fine for the 3-4 days transit. Make sure you get the courier company (I recommend World Couriers) to sort out the packaging so that you comply with IATA regulations, and to ensure that it is kept on dry ice and topped up in transit. Also make sure that they can pre-approve any import documents etc, so as to speed up time spent in customs.

Actually you can ship on LN2. There are special shipping containers called dry shippers that have a lining that can be filled with LN2. The lining is porous, like pumice, and holds the liquid so that the cells or tissue is actually in the vapor phase. The size shipper I use holds minus 196degC for 3 weeks. Shippers like FedEx don't handle them often so you need to work closely with them. If your cells are really precious and you don't want to take a risk on clearing customs these shippers can be a great help. They are pricy though so unless you are routinely shipping cells this way people go the dry ice route and use World Courier or other, cheaper, freight forwarders.

Don't know how LN2 could pose an explosion hazard but definitely asphyxiation is a possibility.

#12 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,512 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 July 2009 - 04:28 PM

Don't know how LN2 could pose an explosion hazard but definitely asphyxiation is a possibility.

If the container gets accidentally sealed up, or ices up the vent(s) it will explode.

#13 drB

drB

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

Freeze-drying = Lyophilization = removal of water from samples in the icy state under vacuum. Cells must be well dead after lyophilization.

I agree, Freeze-drying in definately not the way to go here, your cells will surely die. Companies (lonza / promocell) which ship cell cultures use dry ice, so just copy them! However a common mistake some people make is putting the cells into a -80 freezer when they recieve it, but before thawing. I made this mistake as well :lol: , and learned that it caused irreversible damage to the cells - so go ahead and thaw the cell right away upon arrival, or put them in the liquid nitrogen. The cells will be very happy ;)

#14 Benjamin

Benjamin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:49 AM

I am very excited to be a part of this Forum and look forward to bringing Value to it.

Muscle force max
Review of Muscle force max

#15 Hodag

Hodag

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

The IATA regulations on this are very specific as to what is allowed, or not. You can ship on dry ice or N2, but both require special handling and declarations. All the big shipping companies (FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc.) have a hazardous cargo group that specialize in advising customers. There are also speciality shippers, like World Courier, that ship biological materials for a living.

Pick up the phone and have a chat; you will save a lot of time! The IATA itself (located in Montreal) has some wonderfully helpful people at the hazardous goods desk.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.