• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
- - - - -

What is your IQ?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#61 hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 09:41 AM

Einstein had a nice summary:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
which is pictured quite well here:

One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:16 PM

Just 10.

So. Now that you have your first ever question on bioforum answered (or not), mail yourself your username and password so you don't forget them, and then come back soon to update us on how it all worked out. That's how you build Karma in science.

#63 TrivediScience

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 05:32 AM

125 :-)

#64 Astilius

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:19 AM

My, actual-factual, IQ is 156.   Yeeeeaaaaars ago I had my IQ tested with various standardized methods (Weschler Type III was in there, but I went through a battery of tests) for a university's Psych dept.   I think the point was how the methods compared against each other but I seem to remember that a part of it was also if practice on one type affected performance on the residual types.

I had consistent scores across the board.

All this aside, I know that my intelligence (problem solving, analytical skills, and reasoning) is at the top end of the scale HOWEVER this doesn't mean that I'm having the time of my life.   As much as I'm a sharp tack all the problems of my life are all the same as everyone else.  

High intelligence (and low in intelligence for that matter) means nothing without application.   I have seen too many clever people coast through life.   I have seen a good many people who were not naturally gifted apply themselves and do better than their lazy, top-end counterparts.   Indeed, some really clever people never learn to try/study and when they come up against something hard or out of their sphere of knowledge they run a mile as they don't know how to attempt to tackle it.   That, my friends, is true stupidity and is of no use.

As discussed above, IQ only tests for a limited range of skills and doesn't actually deal with 'intelligence', indeed there's no definition of intelligence that people would agree on let alone how to test for it.   People shouldn't focus on it and should instead focus on application of ability.   I wouldn't even focus on how long someone takes to solve a problem, sheer speed isn't usually of upmost utility.   I'd rather hear out someone who carefully thought out a problem from a new perspective than someone giving me the fast/obvious answer.   Even if wrong, a new perspective can give surprising insight to either the problem at hand or something else interesting.

Edited by Astilius, 18 August 2015 - 12:37 AM.

To the last, I grapple with thee; from Hell's heart, I stab at thee; for hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.