• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Sucrose best before

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:10 AM

For my homogenization buffer, to isolate proteins and RNAs, I use 1M sucrose and prepare it fresh. It's not very comfortable, plus there's always some left. How long can I keep it in 4 degrees to use it again? The solution is perfectly clear after two weeks, maybe if I'd filtrate it...?
"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#2 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,742 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

you can use it until something starts to grow in it. high concentration solution (and solid) sucrose is a preservative, not much can grow in it.

we make 20% sucrose solutions, store at 4C, and use it for however long it takes to use it up, unless something starts to grow.

filtration shouldn't be necessary and will be very slow because of the viscosity of the solution.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#3 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2009 - 01:24 AM

you can use it until something starts to grow in it. high concentration solution (and solid) sucrose is a preservative, not much can grow in it.

we make 20% sucrose solutions, store at 4C, and use it for however long it takes to use it up, unless something starts to grow.

filtration shouldn't be necessary and will be very slow because of the viscosity of the solution.

In my lab, several students have different views on sterilizing sucrose or not, so I was a bit dumbfounded.
"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#4 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 March 2009 - 04:18 AM

I have stored 1M sucrose at RT for months and it has been fine. No growth or anything. As long as there is no growth, you can use it.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.