• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

how to prepare RNase from powder form?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sagar

sagar

genes

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:05 AM

hi
I have been trying to prepare RNase (10mg/ml)by dissolving it i sodium acetate (5.2)and adjusting the ph with addition of tris 7.4 ,but every time i prepare like this i end up with no result. After running the gel i still get rna contamination.Is there any other method of preparing Rnase?

plz any1 can help?
Thanks in advance

Edited by sagar, 26 February 2009 - 06:07 AM.

#2 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 February 2009 - 06:55 AM

Why are you using sodium acetate? I have not done this for some time, but I think I used pure water to dissolve.....
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#3 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2009 - 07:55 AM

hi
I have been trying to prepare RNase (10mg/ml)by dissolving it i sodium acetate (5.2)and adjusting the ph with addition of tris 7.4 ,but every time i prepare like this i end up with no result. After running the gel i still get rna contamination.Is there any other method of preparing Rnase?

plz any1 can help?
Thanks in advance

What concentration was the sodium acetate? Was it 0.01M?
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#4 sagar

sagar

genes

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

Why are you using sodium acetate? I have not done this for some time, but I think I used pure water to dissolve.....

hi
how to prepare using water and how to adjust the pH ? I think rnase will precipitate in neutral ph?
can u give me the protocol?

#5 sagar

sagar

genes

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:03 AM

hi

plz any1 can help?
Thanks in advance

What concentration was the sodium acetate? Was it 0.01M?

hi there

yes i have been using 0.01M sodium acetate
how can i modify my protocol.
Can u plz tell me the optimum pH for rnase?

#6 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

I used the protocol for preparing RNase A from Sambrook, which seems to work fine. An important step is to boil the RNase before you use it. The protocol is as follow:
1. dissolve RNase in 0.01M sodium acetate
2. heat to 100C for 15min, cool down at room temperature
3. adjust pH by adding 0.1vol of 1M Tris-Cl (ph 7.4)
4. dispense in aliquots and store at -20C

The optimum working range for RNase A is between pH 7 and 8 (I think).

If that protocol doesn't work, it might be worth to buy pre-made RNase A from Invitrogen.
"You can give somebody a book on 'How to ride bike' and then test that person on that knowledge. Even if that person gets an "A", it doesn't mean that he or she can ride a bike."
---this is what I am telling myself when I get a bad grade....as long as you don't loose your passion, you'll be fine.....V

#7 sagar

sagar

genes

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

I used the protocol for preparing RNase A from Sambrook, which seems to work fine. An important step is to boil the RNase before you use it. The protocol is as follow:
1. dissolve RNase in 0.01M sodium acetate
2. heat to 100C for 15min, cool down at room temperature
3. adjust pH by adding 0.1vol of 1M Tris-Cl (ph 7.4)
4. dispense in aliquots and store at -20C

The optimum working range for RNase A is between pH 7 and 8 (I think).

If that protocol doesn't work, it might be worth to buy pre-made RNase A from Invitrogen.

thanks i have been using the same protocol but anyways its not working maybe somehing is wrong with the enzyme powder.

#8 Wolverena

Wolverena

Spirit

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:19 AM

thanks i have been using the same protocol but anyways its not working maybe somehing is wrong with the enzyme powder.

that could be. Sorry I couldn't help you.

Good luck....

#9 gebirgsziege

gebirgsziege

I like fungi

• Active Members
  • 392 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 February 2009 - 09:46 AM

I just added the water....like it was suggested at the Data sheet.....when Sigma uses water to test it, I thought it will be fine for me :)
It works fine in my applications (use it in genomic DNA extraction) and the pH of my working solutions is in the range where the activity should be fine, so I never thought of dissolving it anywhere else :D maybe I should the next time?????
A man cannot be too careful in the choice of his enemies. (Oscar Wilde)

#10 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,484 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:45 AM

The powder is lyophilized from solution, which will contain buffers. Adding water reconstitutes the buffers as well as the protein.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.