• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

mutations in plasmids

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xyz74

xyz74

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

I have a question about plasmids. I amplified my cDNA into pOTB7 vector (chloramphenicol resistance). I did the sequencing and got 100% match with my gene of interest.

Then I RE digested this plasmid and pcI-neo (amp resistance) and did ligation etc. When I sequence this new plasmid, I am getting about 10 mutations in each primer that I used.

I am confused because the first plasmid is fine but the second one is full of mutations. Also the RE sites in pcI neo are only 5 bases apart. Does that have anything to do with the mutations?

Thanks.

#2 Nrelo

Nrelo

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:08 AM

I have a question about plasmids. I amplified my cDNA into pOTB7 vector (chloramphenicol resistance). I did the sequencing and got 100% match with my gene of interest.

Then I RE digested this plasmid and pcI-neo (amp resistance) and did ligation etc. When I sequence this new plasmid, I am getting about 10 mutations in each primer that I used.

I am confused because the first plasmid is fine but the second one is full of mutations. Also the RE sites in pcI neo are only 5 bases apart. Does that have anything to do with the mutations?

Thanks.

You got only one construct/clone (I mean the second one)? If not, did other clones give you the same problem?

#3 xyz74

xyz74

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:34 PM

I checked only one clone so far, I am thinking of picking more colonies and sequencing them also to see if the problem continues.

#4 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:45 AM

I would guess something is wrong in one of the 2 vectors. Better go back to the original plasmid and verify sequence again. Also look at the original sequence data. They can give a better idea.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.