• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

rating

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2009 - 10:28 AM

hi,

I can see some forums have this topic-rating icons. are they new? ....or perhaps I was blind and never saw them before? :P
how do they work and why only some forums have this option?

thank you :)

#2 TanyHark

TanyHark

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

hi,

I can see some forums have this topic-rating icons. are they new? ....or perhaps I was blind and never saw them before? :P
how do they work and why only some forums have this option?

thank you :)

I don't see any topic rating icons :unsure:

#3 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:16 PM

lol......the same topic that you replied earlier had rating....the Taqman primer and probe.

#4 Telomerase

Telomerase

Evil Incarnate

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:25 AM

lol......the same topic that you replied earlier had rating....the Taqman primer and probe.

I would like to know how many posts I'd have to get PM enabled. I was in the middle of giving advice to someone and waiting for the answer, oops.
And I am not such a fervent poster to quickly make the necessary amount.

EDIT: oooh it works.

Edited by Telomerase, 22 February 2009 - 02:26 AM.

"Beware the power of a PhD student" - scolix

#5 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 06:59 AM

I guess rating only is for scientific threads (i.e. not chitchat) and you cannot rate threads you started yourself.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#6 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 07:30 AM

I guess rating only is for scientific threads (i.e. not chitchat) and you cannot rate threads you started yourself.

I did...I gave myself 5 stars in the molecular biology subforum. :angry:

#7 casandra

casandra

carpe diem by the jugulum

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:29 PM

Yeah, some topics in the tech forums have them, some don't but there shld be a rhyme and reason to this..perhaps after a certain number of replies..or the moderators can arbitrarily set up this option once they tag certain topics?
"Oh what a beauteousness!"
- hobglobin, personal comment about my beauteous photo......

#8 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

I don't know. I have a feeling this is an old and accidental feature of the forum. The newer boards don't have it. Only some of the older boards do. I also don't remember this feature in the old forum. It may have been accidentally reintroduced when the forum was rebooted. Thus this missmatch.

This feature does not appear to be linked to moderator abilities as I can't see the option to tag a topic to be rated or not.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#9 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 01:41 PM

This feature was in the old forum, I'm quite sure of that. The geek forum has it (you can rate all the topics over there) and it's new. But for the tech forums, some subforums have and some don't, so it's really intriguing. And at least now we know that moderators are not culpable, there go our escape goats :angry: ....

#10 hobglobin

hobglobin

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional...

• Global Moderators
  • 5,531 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:46 PM

This feature was in the old forum, I'm quite sure of that. The geek forum has it (you can rate all the topics over there) and it's new. But for the tech forums, some subforums have and some don't, so it's really intriguing. And at least now we know that moderators are not culpable, there go our escape goats :angry: ....

Yes I remember it too, but never found a possibility to rate myself, only some stars in some threads. And otherwise it seems really quite arbitrary where you can rate now, didn't realised it before.
One must presume that long and short arguments contribute to the same end. - Epicurus
...except casandra's that belong to the funniest, most interesting and imaginative (or over-imaginative?) ones, I suppose.

#11 casandra

casandra

• Global Moderators
  • 5,035 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:00 PM

This feature was in the old forum, I'm quite sure of that. The geek forum has it (you can rate all the topics over there) and it's new. But for the tech forums, some subforums have and some don't, so it's really intriguing. And at least now we know that moderators are not culpable, there go our escape goats :D ....

Yes I remember it too, but never found a possibility to rate myself, only some stars in some threads. And otherwise it seems really quite arbitrary where you can rate now, didn't realised it before.

Well, you shldn't rate yourself or your topic anyways...bug someone else to do it for you :D ....besides, what's Curtis' obsession about this rating thing?

#12 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:48 PM

..besides, what's Curtis' obsession about this rating thing?

nothing serious really....it's just that several times I suggested having a rating system like Yahoo Answers, so I thought maybe the admins have added this new feature to the board finally.

#13 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:48 PM

I would like to know how many posts I'd have to get PM enabled. I was in the middle of giving advice to someone and waiting for the answer, oops.
And I am not such a fervent poster to quickly make the necessary amount.

EDIT: oooh it works.

I think PM is enabled when you reach "two blue squares".

#14 Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Super Mouse

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts
Good

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

This feature was in the old forum, I'm quite sure of that. The geek forum has it (you can rate all the topics over there) and it's new. But for the tech forums, some subforums have and some don't, so it's really intriguing. And at least now we know that moderators are not culpable, there go our escape goats :D ....

I also notice it... ELISA and flow cytometry subforum got the rating system but not cell biology forum :)

#15 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 02 March 2009 - 10:47 PM

I also notice it... ELISA and flow cytometry subforum got the rating system but not cell biology forum :(

It is back now.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.