• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Histology/Paraffin Embedding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 IBNAMmonkey

IBNAMmonkey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

I have been culturing cells in a 3-D gel and after fixing the gels in formalin, I have attempted to embed them in paraffin. When I section the paraffin, however, a common problem is that paraffin surrounding the gel is flaky and brittle. As a result, I'm left with a hole in the section where my gel should be.

I think the problem has to do with the embedding process. During embedding the gels are much cooler than the paraffin and as a result, when I initially place the gels into the paraffin, I think a layer of amorphous paraffin forms around the gel. (If you look at the finished paraffin block, the areas surrounding the gel are white paraffin).

My question is this: Is there any way to reform that amorphous region without removing/damaging the gel inside? For instance, could I heat the block up to 60 deg C and try to re-from those regions??

#2 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

Speak to your histology core (the people who can adjust things to suit paraffin embedding). They are the ones who could really help you.

#3 genehunter

genehunter

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:11 PM

maybe it is because your gel only has a few % of matrix that makes it fragile? I dont know if cryosection after OCT embedding, or plastic resin will help.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.