• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Effect of salt concentration on bacterial culture

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brightfield

brightfield

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:50 AM

I realized that my student was using L-broth pellets that contain 0.5 g/L NaCl. I read somewhere online that for growing bacteria with plasmids (we're doing MaxiPreps), it is better to use the higher salt concentrations (5-10 g/L NaCl). Does anyone here agree/disagree with that? If you have read some of my other posts, you will know that we've been having problems. Could the low salt concentration be a problem?

#2 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:27 AM

From experience of having to use both high salt (10g/l) and low salt (0.5g/l) due to occasional shortages... the high salt medium does give better yields than the low salt medium in the context of maxipreps.

However I don't know if it is the cause of the problem you are experiencing.
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#3 brightfield

brightfield

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:32 AM

From experience of having to use both high salt (10g/l) and low salt (0.5g/l) due to occasional shortages... the high salt medium does give better yields than the low salt medium in the context of maxipreps.

However I don't know if it is the cause of the problem you are experiencing.

Thanks. If nothing else, it seems our yield may improve a bit.

#4 niki

niki

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:46 AM

Hi I found this post very interesting as I am currently looking into media formulations, but I am not having much luck in finding out the affect salt concentration in the media has on E. coli growth for plasmid yields. (other than sources saying salt concentrations need to be adjusted to the type of E. coli.

Could anyone point me in the direction of some sources on this topic?

#5 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:21 PM

We have found that LB gives the best-quality DNA, even though the yield is lower than for 2TY or other rich broths.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.