• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

293Flp cell transfection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JdC09

JdC09

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

Hi,
Has anyone transfected cells with lipofectamine 2000, waited the required 4-6 hours and split the cells into a larger dish.
Would this affect transfection efficiency? The protocol says you can change the media after 4-6 hours which means you are effectively
taking off the liposomal reagents. So I was wondering if the cells can just be split at that time too...
Any advice would be very helpful.

Thanks

#2 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 February 2009 - 07:48 AM

Transfection is stressful for cells and if they are split soon, many cell lines might not tolerate it well and you could have lots of cell death.

#3 cotchy

cotchy

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:20 AM

it is recommended to wait up to 48 to 72 hours after removal of the lipofectamine to split the cells.

As scolix said they can be stressed and fragile after exposure to lipofectamine and so should be given 2-3 days to recover.

it does also depend on the cell type as some hardier cells such as hepG2 or similar can probably be trypsinised sooner, but if the transfection was to say immortalise primary cells or for fragile cells (where viabilty when passaging isnt 90 - 100 %) its best to give them time to recover

#4 cellcounter

cellcounter

Control Panel

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:32 AM

I agree with above responses. I am wondering why you want to do it?

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.