• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to seed the cells evenly in 6 wells plate

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 Thana

Thana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:01 AM

Hello,

I need to seed my cells (4.5x106 cells/well) in 6 wells plate and let it double over night to reach the concentration of 9x106 cells/well.

However, when cells have doubled overnight, they don't attached to the wells but floating around the wells which make the concentration wrong.

The floating ones are not dead at all but not attacthed.

Does anyone know any techniques or how to make them attached nicely after the doubling??

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

#2 scolix

scolix

a student

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

if attachment is a problem, coat plates with poly lysine or something similar. Are the wells confluent the next day?

#3 bioforum

bioforum

Veteran

• Super Administrators
  • 162 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 February 2009 - 05:28 AM

Here are some very good discussions on this topic:

How to avoid central cell seeding in 6-well plates
How to seed cells evenly in small well plates

#4 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
Excellent

Posted 04 February 2009 - 06:47 AM

what cells are they? I had some issues with HT29 cells that they didn't attach as fast as HeLa cells, but if I left them for 1-2 days they spread all over the flask or 6-well plates.

It depends on the cell type but I suspect your cells might be dead. how do you say they are not dead? did you try checking them for Trypan Blue uptake?

do you know what trypan blue uptake is? if not I will explain to you in the next post.

Edited by Curtis, 04 February 2009 - 06:50 AM.

#5 orphans

orphans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:45 PM

hi!

Have this research project on cell culture and am having problems on how to seed 3, 000 cells per well in a 96-well plate and make sure that its 3,000 cells adhering to the well. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

#6 orphans

orphans

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

hi!

Have this research project on cell culture and am having problems on how to seed 3, 000 cells per well in a 96-well plate and make sure that its 3,000 cells adhering to the well....Any suggestions? :rolleyes:

#7 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:17 PM

1) when adding cell suspension, tilt the plate at 45 degree and add 2ml of cells to the lower side of the wells, then place the plate level without any other movement. Usually this will be enough to seed the cell evenly.

2) if not, swirl the plate clockwise and anticlockwise 3 times each, back and forth, right and left 3 times, return to incubator, after 5 min, check the plate, if not evenly, repeat that again.

#8 Thana

Thana

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 February 2009 - 01:09 AM

Thank you so much for the links, I've tried with all the suggestions and the cells attatch nicely now <_<

There were so many good advices and techniques on those links, Thanks a million bioforum and all replies <_<

I really appreciate your helps

#9 Eagles09

Eagles09

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 November 2009 - 07:05 AM

Thana, which techniques did you end up using? I seem to be having the same problem and it is throwing off my numbers.

#10 frankfan

frankfan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:35 AM

you seeded too many cells in one well.

#11 sunil kumar

sunil kumar

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:31 AM

Hello,

I need to seed my cells (4.5x106 cells/well) in 6 wells plate and let it double over night to reach the concentration of 9x106 cells/well.

However, when cells have doubled overnight, they don't attached to the wells but floating around the wells which make the concentration wrong.

The floating ones are not dead at all but not attacthed.

Does anyone know any techniques or how to make them attached nicely after the doubling??

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

the best way is to sip up whole media(wit unevenly distributed cells in the well) in to a tip n release them again 2 to 3 times. it wrked for me.for larger plates up n down left n rite rocking for 3 times is enuf.

Edited by sunil kumar, 23 April 2010 - 03:41 AM.

#12 sunil kumar

sunil kumar

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 April 2010 - 03:35 AM

hi!

Have this research project on cell culture and am having problems on how to seed 3, 000 cells per well in a 96-well plate and make sure that its 3,000 cells adhering to the well....Any suggestions? :(

simple pal, add the pellet to 1 ml pbs,count them in a 10 ul vol of pbs in cytometer(added equal of trypan blue), pellet them, add iml media again,add relative volume to wel.
and for info even if u know, its impossible to add xactly , its all relative n assumptive to naer tat value. :)

#13 SciCell

SciCell

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

hi!

Have this research project on cell culture and am having problems on how to seed 3, 000 cells per well in a 96-well plate and make sure that its 3,000 cells adhering to the well....Any suggestions? :P

simple pal, add the pellet to 1 ml pbs,count them in a 10 ul vol of pbs in cytometer(added equal of trypan blue), pellet them, add iml media again,add relative volume to wel.
and for info even if u know, its impossible to add xactly , its all relative n assumptive to naer tat value. :P

The way I do it is (no need of spinning multiple times): I count the cells and do serial dilution to bring down the cell number / concentration. For example if the cell concentration is 1.5e6c/ml, then a 1:10 dilution would bring down the cell concentration to 1.5e5c/ml and so on...

S

#14 ACN

ACN

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

I too have been having trouble with seeding cells evenly. After reading thing and trying the tips that some of you guys have left; I am not getting beautiful even monolayers. This is what has worked for me:
In a 12 well plate; I seed my cells at the desired density then first I rock back and fourth/side to side, then do the figure eight technique (mentioned above) with the plate, and lastly let the plate sit for about 40 minutes in the hood before I proceed to move the plate into the incubator.
Thanks again and I hope this helps as well.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.