• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

part of protein sequence missing

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 deepbluedna

deepbluedna

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 February 2009 - 01:20 PM

After expressing my protein with the IPTG induction in BL21 cells. I got not activity of my protein, but there is a band at the correct MW. Then I sent my protein for N-term sequencing in case, after I got the sequence back I found out that the sequence match part of my protein, which means 15 amino acids are missed after methionine. I wonder if it could be caused by the expression of the purification process? Did this ever happen to anyone here? I started a second time expression and got the right band again but no activity. Problem for me:(
Need help here. Thanks in advance

#2 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 03 February 2009 - 05:13 PM

how is the plasmid? Is the DNA sequence correct?
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

#3 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

After expressing my protein with the IPTG induction in BL21 cells. I got not activity of my protein, but there is a band at the correct MW. Then I sent my protein for N-term sequencing in case, after I got the sequence back I found out that the sequence match part of my protein, which means 15 amino acids are missed after methionine. I wonder if it could be caused by the expression of the purification process? Did this ever happen to anyone here? I started a second time expression and got the right band again but no activity. Problem for me:(

My first guess is that you have a Met about 15 residues in from your start, right? If so, the transcription/translation machinery has jumped past the true start codon. If not, there is something very strange going on.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#4 deepbluedna

deepbluedna

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:20 AM

My first guess is that you have a Met about 15 residues in from your start, right? If so, the transcription/translation machinery has jumped past the true start codon. If not, there is something very strange going on.

No, there is no Met ahead of that sequence. Basically the expression start with the Met and jump 15 AAs to keep expressing.

#5 deepbluedna

deepbluedna

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:21 AM

how is the plasmid? Is the DNA sequence correct?

The DNA sequencing is correct.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.