• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Does phenol extraction have effect on DNA methylation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jacinthe

jacinthe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 February 2009 - 12:20 PM

Has anyone heard if the Phenol/chlorophorm extraction of the DNA could have an effect on the methylation? Would it interfere with the bisulfit traitment? (I'm using the Epitect-BS from Qiagen)

#2 methylnick

methylnick

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:23 PM

Hi there,

it doesn't have an effect, if FFPE treated samples don't alter the methylation patterns then I would say phenol chloroform wouldn't either.

nick

#3 ForEpi

ForEpi

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 February 2009 - 09:07 AM

Hi,

PC extraction should indeed have no effect as Weber (Weber, 2005) uses it to clean up his methylated DNA after his MeDIP procedure ...

B
I believe in the power of Selenium!!

#4 jacinthe

jacinthe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 February 2009 - 11:27 AM

Thank you both! I feel more confortable now using phenol/chloro for my DNA extraction (because I'm not very happy with my Qiagen kit!)

Jacinthe

#5 et2b

et2b

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts
Neutral

Posted 02 March 2009 - 06:30 AM

Thank you both! I feel more confortable now using phenol/chloro for my DNA extraction (because I'm not very happy with my Qiagen kit!)

Jacinthe

He you....CpG methylation is a covalent modification to the cytosine....it wont fall off :rolleyes: , No really it wont..... :D --> chemistry is a nice thingy, sometimes
Cells can actively Demethylated with some thingies (enzymes).....so when cells are death and protein denaturated you wont be risking your Cytosine methylation. So no worries
Hope it helps...

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.