• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Ion Exchange

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bscotfitzgerald

bscotfitzgerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:29 PM

I am running an ion exchange column with DEAE Sepharose FF and I am separating ferritin in 25mM TRIS with a linear gradient from 0 to 0.400M NaCl in 25mM TRIS. This is my first time using an IEX column and had a few questions.
First after i ran the column, and eluted my protein there was a faint yellow band at the top of the gel, i presume left overs of the sample, but i attempted to force it off the column with 2M NaCl and it still would not budge. Does anyone have any incite on this situation.
Secondly, the sample that i am injecting is 0.200ml and when i collect all of the solution that gave a signal on my UV detector i ended up with almost 200ml of solution, there was also visual confirmation that it was in fact ferritin coming off of the column since it was yellow. Is this a normal amount for a sample of that size to increase to that kind of volume?
Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

#2 T C

T C

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

Hello

I am not sure if this would help, but worth reading.

I can't comment on the first question you raised......however, if it didn't come out with 2M NaCl, its less likely to interfere with yr further analysis. Can u elute ferritin in somethign else, which may just bring it down?

For the second question, its a trade off. WhenI purify my protein on ion exchange, I surely purify it, but it gets diluted out. So whereever i am looking for concentration, i don't look for purity. What i mean is that i load samples which are relatively pure and elute them out using a running gradient so that everything comes out in a low volume but surely at a higher concentration.

Best
TC

#3 bscotfitzgerald

bscotfitzgerald

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:13 PM

Can i ask how large of a column you are running for your IEX?

#4 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,788 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

this handbook from ge healthcare may help.

Attached Files

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.