• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

copy number of pUAST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 george@CASE

george@CASE

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hello everyone,

My turn to ask.

pUAST is a transformation vector for Drosophila. It is 9kb in size, and based on the pCASPER vector family.

My insert is 9.7kb in size ( I know it's big, and its hell to work with). So the whole thing is around 19kb.

Firstly, does anyone know the copy number of pUAST?

Secondly, with a plasmid this big, is it better to assume that the plasmid is low copy simply because of the huge size?

I did a maxiprep using Qiagen Maxifilter, and boy was I surprised that I didn't get a visible DNA pellet in the isopropanol step. I continued with the protocol, and running my final dna solution on a gel, I see that I did get DNA but nothing close to the yield from a maxiprep.

I was told that it was high copy so I grew up 100mL LB culture as per Qiagen protocol. This may be my mistake.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm afraid to run another maxiprep. The kit is good for only 10 applications :). My boss is gonna eat me alive if I use it up :blink:

#2 predoc

predoc

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:01 PM

I do a Qiagen Midi-prep and it works out to give me a conc of atleast 1ug/ul. I did a 50ml prep.

Hope this helps. BTW, I have question for you: do you know if there is an ATg upstream of the MCS in this vector for in-frame cloning. I checked on MAcvector and it shows me stop codons in all frmaes upstream of the MCS. Does this mean that you can clone anyhow?

Thanks!!

Hello everyone,

My turn to ask.

pUAST is a transformation vector for Drosophila. It is 9kb in size, and based on the pCASPER vector family.

My insert is 9.7kb in size ( I know it's big, and its hell to work with). So the whole thing is around 19kb.

Secondly, with a plasmid this big, is it better to assume that the plasmid is low copy simply because of the huge size?

I did a maxiprep using Qiagen Maxifilter, and boy was I surprised that I didn't get a visible DNA pellet in the isopropanol step. I continued with the protocol, and running my final dna solution on a gel, I see that I did get DNA but nothing close to the yield from a maxiprep.

I was told that it was high copy so I grew up 100mL LB culture as per Qiagen protocol. This may be my mistake.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm afraid to run another maxiprep. The kit is good for only 10 applications :o. My boss is gonna eat me alive if I use it up :)

#3 predoc

predoc

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:02 PM

God! Dod I reply to a 2005 post?

Goodness, I must be going nuts!

I do a Qiagen Midi-prep and it works out to give me a conc of atleast 1ug/ul. I did a 50ml prep.

Hope this helps. BTW, I have question for you: do you know if there is an ATg upstream of the MCS in this vector for in-frame cloning. I checked on MAcvector and it shows me stop codons in all frmaes upstream of the MCS. Does this mean that you can clone anyhow?

Thanks!!

Hello everyone,

My turn to ask.

Any inputs?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm afraid to run another maxiprep. The kit is good for only 10 applications :o. My boss is gonna eat me alive if I use it up :)

#4 perneseblue

perneseblue

Unlimited ligation works!

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts
Good

Posted 18 February 2009 - 01:11 PM

God! Dod I reply to a 2005 post?

Goodness, I must be going nuts!

:o
May your PCR products be long, your protocols short and your boss on holiday

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.