• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Passage-hepatic stem cells

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tanya

tanya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:18 AM

Hi,

I'm pretty much new to cell culture so forgive me if this sounds like a lame question: How important is passage in say a 5 day period? I'm trying to culture hepatic stem cells... and haven't acyually done passage at all yet...

tanya

#2 CKtong

CKtong

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 March 2009 - 08:02 PM

Hi,

I'm pretty much new to cell culture so forgive me if this sounds like a lame question: How important is passage in say a 5 day period? I'm trying to culture hepatic stem cells... and haven't acyually done passage at all yet...

tanya

Hi,Tanya
Passaging cell is an important event in cell culture.
it is advicible to passage at a schedule constant(Exp: 3-4 day once)
Cell will be over grow or become senences and the metabolism, cell morphology, cell machinary might change.
Youn say u r trying to culture hepatic stem cells....( i wonder if it is primary sources and jz started Passage 0) if yes, then that is another story, you may have to observe colony in your culture before u start passaging them.
cheers :)

#3 cotchy

cotchy

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 March 2009 - 02:16 AM

Hi Tanya as CK mentions are these stem cells primary (i.e. extracted directly from tissue rather than a vial)

there is no set time to passage cells as all cells vary in their growth rates, im not familair with stem cells but in my experience you only HAVE to passage cells for a couple of reasons

1. they are becoming confluent (outgrowing the flask) and thus need to be split into two flasks to allow more room for growth

2. they need to be passaged due to build up of toxic wastes in medium or indeed to replenish the nutrients in the medium

Cotchy.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.