• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

How do you mix PCR reactions - swish, flick or nothing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you mix your reaction tubes before you place them in the thermal cycler (175 member(s) have cast votes)

How do you mix your reaction tubes before you place them in the thermal cycler

1. 1. Vortex and spin down (49 votes [28.00%])

Percentage of vote: 28.00%

2. 2. Swish up and down with pipetting (42 votes [24.00%])

Percentage of vote: 24.00%

3. 3. Mix by flicking and "whip" everything to the bottom (56 votes [32.00%])

Percentage of vote: 32.00%

4. 4. Nothing at all, they mix themselves (28 votes [16.00%])

Percentage of vote: 16.00%

Vote

#1 MoleculeMan

MoleculeMan

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:08 AM

How do you guys mix your reaction tubes before you place them into the thermal cycler? If your mastermix is mixed well, is it even necessary to mix the tube after you add your template? Just curious what everyone thought.

Small detail I know, but good technique comes from paying attention to the little things.

#2 Simonsays

Simonsays

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:12 PM

I heard it's not good to vortex DNA and to pipet U & D enzymes... so flicking looks to me like the best solution.

Simon

#3 methylnick

methylnick

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

I heard it's not good to vortex DNA and to pipet U & D enzymes... so flicking looks to me like the best solution.

Simon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Simon,

I wonder why that is with the vortex? I have been taught to give it a through rodgering and then spin the thing down!

Nick :D

#4 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:56 PM

If I use single 0.5 or 0.2 ml tubes, I may vortex the tubes and then spin down the content. But now most people use strips or plates, vortexing is not so easy especially if you don't have a special centrifuge to spin down after vortexing.

#5 methylnick

methylnick

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 245 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 March 2005 - 06:07 PM

If I use single 0.5 or 0.2 ml tubes, I may vortex the tubes and then spin down the content. But now most people use strips or plates, vortexing is not so easy especially if you don't have a special centrifuge to spin down after vortexing.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I throw my strips into our super cool eppendorf tube centrifuge that can dub as a plate centrifuge B)

#6 5'GCACGTTGGTATAAT

5'GCACGTTGGTATAAT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:03 AM

I've been taught to finger flick and collect the liquid at bottom of the tubes.

The instructions on SYBR green qPCR mixes often say they shouldn't be vortexed.

If you don't have a snazzy plate centrifuge the cheap alternative is either an empty 96 ART tip box or a V-well microtitre plate attached to say 2 ft. long bits of string at each corner. Put your strip tubes in the wells firmly, find an unoccupied part of the lab and swing the plate round by the cords. It takes a little practice, and occasionally you might lose your PCR tubes, but it usually works nicely, as long as there are no members of the safety committee around.

It's also the most fun part of the PCR. How sad am I? B)

#7 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 5,603 posts
Excellent

Posted 30 March 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hi All

I usually add DNA to tube, then add complete master mix (including Taq) directly into the DNA, this should mix it enough for all reactions as it is a far greater volume than the DNA. I then spin the tubes down, just to make sure.

For the spinning I used a salad spinner, one of those things used for getting water out of lettuce after washing, with a couple of 200 uL tip boxes in it to hold the tubes/strips. It seemed to work pretty well.

Bob

#8 praveensbio

praveensbio

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 April 2009 - 11:54 PM

I've been taught to finger flick and collect the liquid at bottom of the tubes.

The instructions on SYBR green qPCR mixes often say they shouldn't be vortexed.

If you don't have a snazzy plate centrifuge the cheap alternative is either an empty 96 ART tip box or a V-well microtitre plate attached to say 2 ft. long bits of string at each corner. Put your strip tubes in the wells firmly, find an unoccupied part of the lab and swing the plate round by the cords. It takes a little practice, and occasionally you might lose your PCR tubes, but it usually works nicely, as long as there are no members of the safety committee around.

It's also the most fun part of the PCR. How sad am I? :lol:

thts nice one....funny but effective enough............ :(

#9 babylabrat

babylabrat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

Portable microcentrifuge for plates and pcr tubes.

I found a great product which uses a modified salad spinner to spin down plates and 1.5 - 2.0ml tubes. Check out www.handyfuge.com. The site also links to a Youtube video which shows you how it works.
I think this would be great to use in the field since it is essentially a portable centrifuge.

#10 jiajia1987

jiajia1987

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 212 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 May 2009 - 12:18 AM

I always flick and spin down the contents

#11 alan6017518

alan6017518

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:14 AM

I vortex it and spin it down when its in separate tubes, as for strip tubes I haven't vortex them, may be I can give it a try with the handyfuge, that thing looks funny.

#12 Kami23

Kami23

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:59 AM

I vortex it and spin it down when its in separate tubes, as for strip tubes I haven't vortex them, may be I can give it a try with the handyfuge, that thing looks funny.

You dont need anything fancy! we use a salad spinner too... we call it saladfuge!

#13 biotechnica

biotechnica

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2009 - 01:44 PM

All work, even not mixing! Things mix when the liquid gets hot and evaporates and comes down (heated lid cyclers).

#14 jiajia1987

jiajia1987

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 212 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 June 2009 - 05:49 PM

Always just tap gently at the base of the PCR tubes and spin down the contents for 10s. Things sometimes get a little weird without mixing.

#15 Atul Kumar Gupta

Atul Kumar Gupta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

Always just tap gently at the base of the PCR tubes and spin down the contents for 10s. Things sometimes get a little weird without mixing.

By the taping i am found air bubble in the PCR tube, this air bubble create problem in analysis of QPCR. so please suggest procedure for mixing the master mix or aliqute in the PCR tube. :lol:

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.