• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

detection of protein phosphorylation using M.S.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 flin

flin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:01 PM

Is it possible to detect protein phosphorylation by mass spec using lysate? If the sample has to be enriched before M.S., what will be the best way to do it?

#2 leekaming

leekaming

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2005 - 08:14 AM

Mass spectrometry should be able to identify the difference in MW of phosphorylated and unphosphorylated protein. MALDI-TOF should be able to distinguish difference of 10Da!

#3 flin

flin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 March 2005 - 01:43 PM

Thanks for the info!
I guess my question is what if I don't know what I am looking at or I want to look at all the molecules along a signaling pathway. Can I load samples from a mixture of many different proteins (after digestion) to m.s. and identify their phosphorylation state? If so, it would be a lot more efficient than other methods like WB, FACS and microarray.

#4 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:30 AM

hi
i've done phosphorylation state analysis once, and for analyzing particular protein, i suppose it's better to separate them on gel and after input one by one in the MS. That is what we did...

#5 flin

flin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:49 PM

Thx!

hi
i've done phosphorylation state analysis once, and for analyzing particular protein, i suppose it's better to separate them on gel and after input one by one in the MS. That is what we did...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.