• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

How to make a tetracycline solution

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 slapolla

slapolla

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

I am making at 5 mg/mL soln of Tetracycline, and am using EtOH per our most recent Molecular Cloning manual...but I am having trouble getting all of the solid dissolved. Should I be using 70 % ETOH? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!!

#2 matiascs

matiascs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 March 2005 - 12:56 PM

Ive made some Tet sol. a couple of times....be sure to use an analytical balance, and dissolve it in absolute ethanol (100%)....and shake it up like theres no tomorrow...itll take a while but it will go into solution...
Do not autoclave...its ready for use....
Cheers

I am making at 5 mg/mL soln of Tetracycline, and am using EtOH per our most recent Molecular Cloning manual...but I am having trouble getting all of the solid dissolved. Should I be using 70 % ETOH? Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mathias Casás Selves

Molecular Pathology Unit
Dept. of Biochemsitry
School of Medicine
Montevideo, Uruguay

#3 chandima

chandima

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:04 AM

i agree with matiascs. I do the same
chandima

#4 Julio-Claudian

Julio-Claudian

i'm unmethylated

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 January 2009 - 05:54 AM

People,

Err... How do we know when to use water or ethanol? We have so much stocks here that I have yet to prepare any antibiotic solutions.

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,811 posts
Excellent

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:53 AM

People,

Err... How do we know when to use water or ethanol? We have so much stocks here that I have yet to prepare any antibiotic solutions.

you use that in which it is soluble and stable and will not interfere with your purpose.
talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#6 Julio-Claudian

Julio-Claudian

i'm unmethylated

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 January 2009 - 04:25 PM

People,

you use that in which it is soluble and stable and will not interfere with your purpose.

Alright, got it!

#7 molgen

molgen

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 167 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 February 2009 - 09:24 AM

According to Lab-facts (Roche) make the stock in Et-OH and the dilutions in liquid culture.

#8 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,502 posts
Excellent

Posted 13 February 2009 - 08:42 AM

I believe the confusion is that two forms of tetracycline are marketed, the compound, and its hydrochloride. Tetracycline is soluble in EtOH, but not water. Tet-HCl is soluble in water. Dissolving Tet-HCl in 50% EtOH is what we like, since it keeps the solution at -20C liquid.

#9 hanming86

hanming86

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 156 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:34 AM

I believe the confusion is that two forms of tetracycline are marketed, the compound, and its hydrochloride. Tetracycline is soluble in EtOH, but not water. Tet-HCl is soluble in water. Dissolving Tet-HCl in 50% EtOH is what we like, since it keeps the solution at -20C liquid.

And from my experience Tet-HCL is not as soluble in Ethanol compared to water. Tet-HCL in Absolute EtOH is quite crappy in term of solubility.

Edited by hanming86, 15 February 2009 - 08:34 AM.

Lab + Coffee + Music = Bliss

#10 DNA

DNA

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:22 PM

Hi Guys,

I f we make tetracycline stock solution i absolute or 100% ethanol instead of water, dont u think that ethanol is dangerous/killer for E.Coli cells?

Yes i agree that not all tetracyline get dissolved , but i am still using it anyways by giving it a bit vortex.

Please advise.

Thanx.

#11 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,502 posts
Excellent

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

The 1000x dilution you do when adding the stock to the medium makes the EtOH in the medium inconsequential.

#12 DNA

DNA

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

The 1000x dilution you do when adding the stock to the medium makes the EtOH in the medium inconsequential.

Thank you very much phage434. I did not know about it that we can do it.

We have got Tet-Hcl and i would like to prepare it your way i.e 50% ethanol so it will remain in liquid form and no freeze thaw.

Cheers

#13 Resubmit

Resubmit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:19 AM

In our lab, we dissolve Tetracycline-HCl in methanol to 10 mg/mL. The solution does not freeze at -20 C, and works well as a 1000x stock for use with E. coli.
(70% ethanol does also dissolve Tet-HCl well, however I've experienced precipitation after freezing the solution).

#14 El Crazy Xabi

El Crazy Xabi

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 199 posts
Excellent

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

Tet in ethanol, Tet-HCl in MQ as basic rule

I made my stocks of Tet-HCl at 25 mg/mL without problem

#15 labtastic

labtastic

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
Neutral

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

In my experience, tet will dissolve nicely in EtOH (or EtOH/H2O mixtures) but will eventually precipitate, especially at -20C. We dissolve our tet in DMF at a 1000x stock (25mg/ml). When my former boss told me to use DMF, I thought for sure it would have negative effects on the growth of my e.coli cultures, to the point where I bet him a 6-pack of beer and then did a growth curve of e.coli +/- pure DMF diluted 1:1000 in the media. Turns out I lost the bet- E. coli had no problems with the DMF. Plus the tet is very stable in DMF and doesn't freeze at -20C.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.