• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Viruses

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kristen13711

kristen13711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2005 - 07:07 AM

I am looking for a cell culture based immunoassay to detect and quantify a few different flaviviruses. I found a baculovirus rapid titer kit from BD (cat#631406) but I am not sure if it would work for Flavivirus. Are the envelope glycoproteins on these viruses similar even though one is a DNA virus and the other is an RNA virus??

#2 Richard.21

Richard.21

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38 posts
Neutral

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:07 AM

I am looking for a cell culture based immunoassay to detect and quantify a few different flaviviruses. I found a baculovirus rapid titer kit from BD (cat#631406) but I am not sure if it would work for Flavivirus. Are the envelope glycoproteins on these viruses similar even though one is a DNA virus and the other is an RNA virus??

Hi kristen

I work with flavivirus but i have never used this kit to detect and quantify Flavivirus. in our lab we use Real Time PCR, and plaque assay. Althought flavivirus are hard to keep high titers (exclude Yellow Fever virus, Saint Louis Encephalits and Japanese encephalitis) we have kept titer around 10-5 and 10-6 with different sorotypes of Dengue Virus.
I strongly recomend you plaque assay!!

Best

Reis, V.P.

#3 niki

niki

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:31 AM

I work with baculovirus so have no idea of how the flavivirus works, but people I work with who have a lot of experience with baculovirus and have tried various titering methods, have always gone back to plaque assays, even if they take a long time they are fairly accurate. It's a shame because these "quick titering" kits look very attractive, but in practice have always been found not to work as well. Saying that I haven't tried any myself!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.