• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Contamination issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justwonder

justwonder

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:43 PM

# About sterile techniques; for example the package which is for the culture tubes. When i use one of these tubes, should i open the package outside the hood. Wipe the culture tube with EtOH before putting it on the hood or should i wipe the whole package with EtOH before putting it on the hood and open it to get the tube?

# About the laminar flow hood; when should i turn off the blowers which circulate the air? After the work or should it be on all the time? Can i have it on at the same time with the UV light?

Thanks.

#2 paulina

paulina

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2005 - 05:52 PM

You should spray the package and then bring it into the hood and open it there.

Turn on the blower 15 min before using it. After using it, turn off the blower and turn on the UV light.

#3 justwonder

justwonder

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2005 - 06:10 PM

You should spray the package and then bring it into the hood and open it there.

Is that not more safety if i wipe the tube instead of the package since the tube is less than the package and if the package is already opened then the bacteria may come inside of it and if i only wipe outside of it then i can contaminate my cells if i open the package inside my hood? What do you think?

Turn on the blower 15 min before using it. After using it, turn off the blower and turn on the UV light.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So i have to turn on the UV light all the time except when i work? I thought i should leave the blowers on 24/7 and turn on and off the UV light after work and before work for only some minutes. :P

Thanks.

#4 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:41 AM

hi
you better spray the package and open it into the hood. that is better than spray each tube. and once sprayed, the package can be kept in the hood.

activate hood 15' before using it will ensure fresh sterile air; but you're right.10' of uv light will sterilize the hood.

#5 justwonder

justwonder

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:38 AM

hi
you better spray the package and open it into the hood. that is better than spray each tube. and once sprayed, the package can be kept in the hood.

So in this case the tube does not need to be sprayed, since it is already in the hood? Or should i spray it in the hood?

activate hood 15' before using it will ensure fresh sterile air; but you're right.10' of uv light will sterilize the hood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I get different answers in this issue which makes me confused. :( So again, should i leave the UV light 24/7 when i don't work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i have the UV light on?

Should i have the blowers on when i work?

Should i turn the blowers off when i don't work?

Thanks for any inputs which clare my mind.

Edited by justwonder, 23 March 2005 - 04:24 AM.

#6 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2005 - 05:13 AM

So in this case the tube does not need to be sprayed, since it is already in the hood? Or should i spray it in the hood?

yep :(

usually i close the hood and turn off the blower when not working. Then nactivation of uv light during 10'

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.