• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Storage problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 searcher

searcher

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2005 - 06:12 AM

1. How long can i store the mediums and where should i store the mediums? Are the storage conditions the same for the medium of bacteria and mammalian cells?

2. Where should i store the enzymes' buffers?

3. Where should i store ordinary buffers?

Thanks for any help.

#2 jadefalcon

jadefalcon

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

1.You can store media for as long as you trust them to be clean :unsure:

Where you store media depends, bacterial media, which are autoclaved usually after preparation, are stored usually at roomtemperature on the self as long as it's not opened. after opening, we store bacterial media in the fridge at 4C. Cell culture media and related solutions are stored at 4C all the time in a seperate cooler for cross-contamination reasons.

2.Buffer for restiction enzymes is usually stored at -20C, or at the temperature the supplier says.

3."Ordinary" buffers is not a precise term. Most buffers like TBE, Tris HCl, SDS-PAGE running buffer, western transfer buffer are stored at RT, while other "ordinary" buffers like coating buffer for elisa-plates, lysis buffer for bacteria, sample buffer for nucleic acids and proteins are stored at 4C....

mike

Edited by jadefalcon, 21 March 2005 - 03:46 AM.

--- He who finds typos may keep them! ---

#3 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:58 AM

hi
generally lbmedia can be stored at room temperature and cell medium should be stored in the fridge. But consider recommendations of your manual/manufacturer

For enzyme buffer, i store an aliquot in the fridge for one month whithout having problems in my digestions.

I agree with jadefalcon for the 3 question.

#4 5'GCACGTTGGTATAAT

5'GCACGTTGGTATAAT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:34 AM

Hi,

as above, but don't store media containing ampicillin for more than 2 weeks at 4 C. If you have sterile media you can add the antibiotics just before use, which is the best policy.

Otherwise bacterial media are fine at room temperature. For medium to long storage, you should keep them away from direct light, especially if you're working with mycobacteria.

Incidentally, some of John Tyndall's broths, set up in the late 19th century are still sterile, but having worked in a mycology lab I now have reason to suspect that spontaneous generation might actually happen B)

Hope you find a happy medium.

#5 wswr

wswr

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2015 - 09:18 AM

Hi, everyone. I hope you can help with me with storing antibiotics in liquid form. I know that after making the antibiotics, they should be stored at -20 degrees Celsius. But the problem is I read somewhere that if I reuse the antibiotics from -20 degrees Celsius, freezing and thawing them repeatedly, they will lose their effectiveness. On the other hand, I have seen a lab member store 1000x ampicillin and chloramphenicol in 4 degrees Celsius, and there seems to be no problem with their effectiveness, so my question is, can I do the same for tetracycline and kanamycin? 

#6 phage434

phage434

Veteran

• Global Moderators
  • 2,683 posts
Excellent

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:34 PM

You can store Tet and Amp  in 50% ethanol, which will not freeze at -20. Chloramphenicol in 100% ethanol, I believe.  Kanamycin will not dissolve in ethanol and will freeze.

#7 wswr

wswr

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 08 June 2015 - 05:15 PM

Thanks for answering. And you can directly use the antibiotics in a liquid medium with the ethanol and all?

#8 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder

• Active Members
  • 3,055 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2015 - 03:14 AM

yes. the amount of alcohol introduced to the medium is negligible, especially with a 1000x stock.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

#9 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 6,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 09 June 2015 - 12:43 PM

Also note that cell culture media contain labile components which will degrade over time, so cell culture media should be stored in the dark at 4 degC for no longer than a month (if prepared in lab) or to the use by date if commercially prepared.

#10 wswr

wswr

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:09 PM

You can store Tet and Amp  in 50% ethanol, which will not freeze at -20. Chloramphenicol in 100% ethanol, I believe.  Kanamycin will not dissolve in ethanol and will freeze.

Just to make sure, does this work for storage in both -20 and 4 degrees Celsius?

#11 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • 6,094 posts
Excellent

Posted 22 June 2015 - 01:02 PM

Yes, it works for both.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.