• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Tips on ethanol wash after nucleic acid precipitation

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16 tuhin_genes

tuhin_genes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:52 AM

Thanks Nick. Very helpful.

I still want to know how much ethanol should be used for washing.

Mario

well it depends but generally i ml should be sufficient to wash the DNA pellet. try to aspirate the ethanol carefully...add i ml of 70% ethanol again...centrifuge briefly and aspirate the total ethanol and then if possible go up to the dessicator for remaining ethanol if any. keep it for 30 mins or so... i hope this helps.
tuhin k guha

#17 s_laub

s_laub

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2009 - 08:23 AM

I just started working in a lab, but I've always been using 300 ul of 70% EtOH, followed by 300 ul of 99% EtOH after a miniprep and my supervisor said that's fine. But the preps are obviously dirty because they can't be cut with REs. So should I always wash with a minimum of 1 ml?

#18 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

I just started working in a lab, but I've always been using 300 ul of 70% EtOH, followed by 300 ul of 99% EtOH after a miniprep and my supervisor said that's fine. But the preps are obviously dirty because they can't be cut with REs. So should I always wash with a minimum of 1 ml?

As a few others have stated, the actually volume isn't the most critical issue, so I wouldn't stress too much over it; you PI's advice is probably the one to follow.
Having said t hat, when we had digestion issues, we did one of two things. Once the DAN was resuspended, we put it through a second EtOH precipitation (or did a PCR cleanup on it). This is fine for most contaminants.

If, however, the repeat precipitation didn't do the trick, we went back and recultured, but we used LB. A few of our group found that overnight culturing with the really rich media gave higher yields of cells and plasmids (no surprise there!), but the DNA quality was lower. Growing cells in LB gave lower yields (fixed by larger cultures!) but better digestion.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#19 s_laub

s_laub

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
Neutral

Posted 06 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

Interesting! I'm using YT, which according to my sources (http://micro.fhw.oka...media/lbyt.html), is rouhgly the same as LB for a 1 L stock.

Any idea on why a less rich medium would give better digestion results?

#20 swanny

swanny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 367 posts
Neutral

Posted 07 September 2009 - 05:54 PM

Interesting! I'm using YT, which according to my sources (http://micro.fhw.oka...media/lbyt.html), is rouhgly the same as LB for a 1 L stock.

Any idea on why a less rich medium would give better digestion results?

Not sure, but I would imagine the answer is somewhere in the area of metabolite buildup, particularly with an overnight incubation. Possibly aeration may play a part.
Heart disease kills more women than breast cancer, but heart attack symptoms differ from men's symptoms. Get to know your heart... it could save your life.

#21 janetvelasquez80l

janetvelasquez80l

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:17 AM

What percentage of ethanol should be used?

Hubschrauber selber fliegen

#22 Vini

Vini

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 178 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2010 - 09:05 AM

i still want to know how. much ethanol should be used for washing.

we use 1ml of 70% EtOH for washing. But 600 uL would work equally good....idea is to wash the pellet....so such variations, i dont think, matter.........

#23 Maddie

Maddie

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 289 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:11 AM

Here is a new paper on ethanol precipitation I thought I'd share.
Let me know if you want me to post the pdf somewhere.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20336673
Theory is when we know everything and nothing is working. Practice is when everything is working and nobody knows why. Here, we combine theory and practice. Nothing is working and nobody knows why.

A. Einstein

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.