• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

urgent help needed-80% sucrose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aei

aei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:10 AM

I can not dissolve 80% sucrose
what can I do?
can you order it from somewhere?

#2 badcell

badcell

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:13 AM

Wow. It's been a long time since I prepared something like this. I believe the only way to dissolve it is by heating the solution while stirring... and with patience. The solubility of sucrose at RT is 1M, and you want more than twice that. It will look like a candy in the end.
Hope that helps!
Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it
(A.Einstein)

#3 aei

aei

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:25 AM

heat to what temp? I think at high tempretures it polymerizes. I'm heating to 35 degrees for over 24 hours now and it is still not dissolving. :)

#4 Simonsays

Simonsays

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 February 2005 - 11:41 AM

I dissolved sucrose to 84%. Don't know what teperature I heated it up to. I just put it on the striring/heating plate at pretty low heating and added sucrose a few mg at the time... it took me a whole day but I got enough sucrose to do all my gradients afterwards.

Simon

#5 sharath

sharath

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:51 PM

Heat water say at about 60C (avoid high temperature as it may charr the compound into caramel) and add sucrose in small increments. When further additions fail to go into the solution, you have reached the saturation point. Filter the solution after cooling it (somemore might crystallize out) and this will be 100% solution. Dilute appropriately.

The solubility of sucrose at high concentration depends on the ionic strength of the solvent employed. What might be quick with distilled water might be tedious with a buffer. If you are using a buffer, then try with a that of lower strength. If you had used water, then use good quality distilled and deionised water.

If you still fail, then ask some nice lady how to make a sugar syrup for a candy bar.

good luck

Edited by sharath, 24 February 2005 - 08:52 PM.

Sharath B.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.