• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

filtering for cell culture stuff

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 eulukaya

eulukaya

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 February 2005 - 07:36 AM

is naylon filter (0.2 microM) OK for filtering the cell culture stuff (glutamin, for example?) or should I buy the other types?...
Thanks for the answers
Engin

#2 snolan6

snolan6

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:15 PM

well it depends on your application but you can probably get away with using 0.45 um filters. We use them all the time to filter sterilize culture additives for yeast and E.coli

#3 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,726 posts
Excellent

Posted 20 February 2005 - 08:07 PM

Hi

You can get away with .45 um filters, although using 0.2 um is better. You will find that some solutions such as proteins and similar things will clog the filters fast no matter what size pores you are using, so I always go for the smaller pore size if I can.

#4 sharath

sharath

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 February 2005 - 04:33 AM

There is no problem in using any of the membranes for filter sterilization. but you need to check out witht he manuafcturer for the affinity of the given membrane for the compound of interest. Otherwise you lose a significant amount of you susbtance.
Sharath B.

#5 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 February 2005 - 05:44 AM

hi
filtering through 0.45 will ensure elimination of cells. Filtering through 0.2 removes all bacterias. But retroviruses still be in a 0.2 filtered solution.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.