• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

infection efficiency

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fguilhem

fguilhem

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Neutral

Posted 09 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

hi,
i'm using 293 PACK cells (also called Phoenix cells) for infecting 293 Cells. Is it neccessary for a good infection ( and therefore good retroviruses production) that 293pack cells divide them continually?
Do someone know tips for achieving good infection (apart the fact that target cells must divide them) ?

Many thanks.
Fred

Edited by fguilhem, 09 February 2005 - 11:46 AM.

#2 laurequillo

laurequillo

The Goddamn Batman!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:52 PM

Well, but you need is to introduce your plasmids, and then the cells will produce the virus. You just have to take the supernatant (I think it is 24-48 after transfection) and do a titration on 293 just to see which volume of supernatant is the optimal for your goal (silecing or whaetever)

I dont know if that was your question
"He must be very ignorant for he answers every question he is asked" Voltaire

"This is SPARTA!"

"Im the goddamn batman"

#3 LostintheLab

LostintheLab

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Neutral

Posted 28 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

If you got these phoenix cells comercially they should have protocols for transfection with ideal conditions- its probably wise to follow their recommendations.
If not, then....
I haven't used those particular 293 cells, but I have used other 293 for viral production and low passage number for the cells is important for transfection efficiency- the younger the better. Also don't let your cells get too confluent, around 60-70% is optimum for tranfection of these cells, which can be tricky when they grow quite fast.

In other cell lines lower cell confluence is recommended for tranfection efficiency. What I tend to do is set up a range of cell confluence or vector concentrations to find the best- it doesn't have to be a big range, one or 2 different cell densities or vector concentrations.
I knew it! I knew it! Well, not in the sense of having the slightest idea, but I knew there was something I didn't know.

#4 warsel

warsel

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:05 AM

Just to add another opinion:

I use 293T cells for packaging and usually transfect in a 6-Well with CaPO4 (at 30-40% confluence) over night, change the medium (1-2mL) the next day in the morning, harvest virus the day after (you can harvest twice ~8h apart and the following day as well if the cells are still ok).

Using a 3-plasmid lenti system and pLKO.1 vectors this usually gives a >90% infection efficiency judged by puromycin resistance at 1:5 dilution (virus:medium) in our hands.

#5 miBunny

miBunny

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:12 PM

Some tips!

Never let the packaging cells overgrow!

Monitor for mycoplasm infection

The day before you replate the cells for the transfection, remove half the media and replace it with new. This would keep the cells "revved up" and helped increase the viral titer.

I would plate the cells in opti-mem with 5% FBS for the transfection. The next day, I would remove the Opti-mem and replace it with regular DMEM-10 for the viral production.

Optimize your transfection efficiencies to get 90-100% transfection. I would make multiple batches of 2X HBSS at slightly different pHs and use the best one for my transfections.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.