• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Murine blood extraction technique

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daveomahony

daveomahony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2005 - 03:30 AM

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO EXTRACT BLOOD FROM MICE- I FIND CARDIAC PUNCTURE VERY HIT AND MISS?

#2 garita

garita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2005 - 11:05 AM

you should try retro- orbital punction. it's easy to manage under anaesthesia

#3 JunieMoon

JunieMoon

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:59 PM

If you're doing a terminal proceedure, you may be able to get away with highly anesthetizing, opening the chest and then doing a cardiac puncture...like if going to do a perfusion. If the mice need to be saved for another day, retro-orbital could be done. I've also seen the nicking of a tail vein and collecting a small amount there.

Junie

#4 kristen13711

kristen13711

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

ANYONE GOT ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO EXTRACT BLOOD FROM MICE- I FIND CARDIAC PUNCTURE VERY HIT AND MISS?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It depends on how much blood you need. The total blood volume in an animal's body equals approximately 6% of its total body weight. To prevent anemia for nonterminal bleeds the guideline is you can take a volume of 1% of the body weight every two weeks. I have found that orbital sinus bleeding works very well in the mouse model.

#5 jadefalcon

jadefalcon

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:21 AM

Nicking the tail vein(s) with a sharp instrument like a scalpel gave me enough blood for monitoring antibody-titers, is non-terminal and I personally prefer a cut in the skin to drilling into the mouse's eye (<- dramatization! :) ). The only thing you have to do for successful tail-blooding, is to make sure that the mouse is warmand therefor the peripheral vessels are wide - we use a redlight and put the mice under that 10 minutes before bleeding.

mike
--- He who finds typos may keep them! ---

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.