• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Collagen gels not setting!!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lizzshead

lizzshead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:13 AM

I am trying to make solid collagen gels to release from the plates as rafts. I am currently making them up as follows: 100ul MEM, 900ul diluted collagen, 20ul NaOH and 2ul bicarbonate.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do? If anyone has a protocol they know works i would be grateful if you could post it for me.

Thanks,

Lizz

#2 jeffreybarrett1

jeffreybarrett1

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 February 2005 - 11:50 PM

Hi,

I have done a lot of work with making collagen gels. I would check your collagen concentration and possibly increase it. Also, check your end pH; if it is too low then you will not get proper gelling.

I use 8 parts collagen, 1 part reconstitution buffer, and 1 part 10x media. The reconstitution buffer consists of HEPES and sodium bicarbonate at the concentration in the 1x media plus 0.2N final conc. NaOH (in the buffer). Others have used down to 0.05N NaOH, but you have to see what works best for you. My final concentration of collagen is about 2.8 mg/ml, which seems to work well for growth of cells.

Please email me at j-barrett@northwestern.edu if you have further questions.

-Jeff

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.