• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Electrophoresis

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 cariboeck

cariboeck

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 January 2005 - 05:28 AM

Hi! I have used transfer buffer (Tris/SDS/glycine/10 % methanol), but after transference I have no seen staing with Pounceau in my nitrocellulosis membrane, even I see staing with the Ab. Is there any methodology to solve this trouble?
Thanks
Cari Boeck

#2 Sprag

Sprag

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2005 - 11:44 AM

Maybe you are not adding enough protein on your gel?!.. Ponceau is not as sensitive as WB!!!

Also check if you really use nitrocellulose and not PVDF!!..

I've had problems with ponceau stainings of PVDF and instead of the standard Sigma (0.1% ponceau, 5% acetic acid), i made my own ponceau as 0.2% ponceau in 3% TCA, and that worked.

#3 littlecell

littlecell

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2005 - 01:15 PM

i am afraid your PONCEAUS has been expired and need a fresh one.
in addition, don't use SDS in your transfer buffer again. it's not useful for most protein transfer.

Edited by littlecell, 14 January 2005 - 01:16 PM.

#4 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 February 2005 - 04:05 AM

I DO NOT USE SDS (important) and don't use methanol (optionnal) for my transfert solution, and everything is ok.

running :

glycine 1,92M
SDS 1%
tris base 250mM
for one liter, it is 144.13g 10g and 30,28g respectively

transfert :
glycine 1,92M
tris base 250mM
for one liter, it is 144.13g and 30,28g respectively

If you want, you can add methanol :
10X transfert solution 100 ml
methanol 200ml
ddh2O qsp 1 liter.

For ponceau solution :
0,2% ponceau red
1%acetic acetique

Good luck

#5 Terente Sangre

Terente Sangre

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 03 March 2005 - 10:03 AM

Yep, I had the exact same problem! I was trying to stain the PVDFs with Ponceau, as someone else on the floor was doing, and to no avail. I was told that you take the membranes from the transfer buffer and immediately immerse them in Ponceau. It just wasnt working.
Anyway, I started to play with it and I discovered that if you take the membrane and wash it with 100% methanol for a few seconds and after that you immerse it in Ponceau, and then you take it back to methanol, the bands begin to stain right in front of your eyes. (Its like developing photo-film). Im glad to see that other people are doing the same.
What I don't understand is why does it need re-hydration, as at no step during the transfer protocol is the membrane allowed to dry out? Just curious...

#6 fred_33

fred_33

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
Neutral

Posted 04 March 2005 - 12:49 AM

hi
maybe SDS and ponceau Red are uncomatible...
By wahshing your membrane in 100% methanol, you get the majority of SDS in methanol (let say 90%). Then, when staining in ponceau red, the last 10% of SDS gets slowely in solution, that's why bands are appearing like photo devlopment. In fact, i suppose it beacause i do not use SDS and when i stain in ponceau, bands appears immediately (less than 2seconds)!
Any idea on that ?

Fred

Edited by fred_33, 04 March 2005 - 12:52 AM.

#7 minylim

minylim

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:39 PM

I'm confused...nitrocellulose doesn't need MeOH activation, right Fred?

I'd doubt whether I apply current right direction and then will suspect the sample. SDS is not a critical factor on my experience still you may want to skip it in transfer buffer. Good luck!

#8 rozer henry

rozer henry

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:11 AM

I'm confused...nitrocellulose doesn't need MeOH activation, right Fred?

I'd doubt whether I apply current right direction and then will suspect the sample. SDS is not a critical factor on my experience still you may want to skip it in transfer buffer. Good luck!

nitro cellulose is entirely diffrent then methyl hydroxide... the current direction is ok... it will take some time... have patience... Rozer Online pharmacy

Edited by rozer henry, 16 October 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#9 Helios

Helios

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2009 - 01:37 AM

ya nitrocellulose doesnt require methanol....infact the membrane can be spoiled in 100% methanol......just wash your membrane after transfer with PBS and then immerse in ponceau....i always do tha for my membranes....also you can load a prestained marker in the gel which can be transferred to the membrane....that ways you can be absolutely sure that your transfer has worked...

#10 jaggsen

jaggsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

Gel electropheresis allows us to study DNA by separating nucleotide strands of different lengths. Therefore, we can use different enzymes to cut DNA and observe the resulting bands that show up in electrophoresis. This can tell us, for example, where certain types of sequences happen on the genome.

Denta Smile MD
Dentasmile MD

#11 50dolars

50dolars

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:57 AM

You check the level of protein

Vietnam travel-Travel agency in vietnam-Hanoi city tours

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.