• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Why is DTT used in reverse transcription (RT) reaction?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 genugene

genugene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 11 January 2005 - 03:29 AM

can anyone please elaborate why DTT is used in Reverse Transcription reaction? Thanks in advance.

Edited by bioforum, 14 January 2005 - 09:38 AM.

#2 seqgirl

seqgirl

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:55 PM

Dithiothreitol is a reducing agent, so it helps to break bonds (like disulfide bonds) which will loosen the secondard structure of the RNA and facilitate RT enzyme initiation of transcription and processivity.

#3 genugene

genugene

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2005 - 06:14 AM

Dithiothreitol is a reducing agent, so it helps to break bonds (like disulfide bonds) which will loosen the secondard structure of the RNA and facilitate RT enzyme initiation of transcription and processivity.

Thank you for your reply. But normally there is no disulfide bond in the mRNAs, so i wonder.........

#4 badcell

badcell

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:15 AM

In low concentrations, DTT is used to stabilize proteins which possess free sulfhydryl groups. Thus, its addition to the RT mix would serve the purpose of protecting the enzymatic activity of the reverse transcriptase. I'm not sure if this is the reason by which DTT is added to RT, but is the only answer I can come up with. I've done thousands of RTs and never wonder why was I adding the DTT!
Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it
(A.Einstein)

#5 gtran89

gtran89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Neutral

Posted 15 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

you're right. dtt is required to protect RT and Taq polymerase in that it reduces disulfide bonds. It is also required for RNase inhibitor activity, where most require a minimum of 1mM.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.