• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Time needed to determine G418 concentration for selection

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel5306

Daniel5306

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 December 2004 - 09:48 AM

Hi,

I am trying to establish a stable transfection cell line. Before transfection, it is needed to determine a proper concentration of G418. As I know, a good concentration should kill all of the cell (non-transfected) within two weeks. Now I am trying the different concentration of G418 from 50-1ug/ml. The question is that how long time it is needed to determine the toxicity of the G418, if I have to wait two weeks?

Daniel

#2 mikew

mikew

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 December 2004 - 11:15 PM

IN general, G418 should kill all the cells in 4-5 days. At least, that has been the experience of the 3 labs I've been in. Usually a range of 500microgram - 1100 microgram /ml kills most cell lines within 5 days. Maybe 2 weeks works fine for you guys but you can be successful with 4-5 day toxicity and save alot of time. The clones usually become apparent within 2 weeks to 1 month.

#3 Daniel5306

Daniel5306

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 39 posts
Neutral

Posted 14 December 2004 - 08:40 AM

Hi, Mikew,

Thank your advice. I agree with you, two weeks is a little long for me. I will firstly try to kill the cell within one weeks and get a good concentration. Have a nice christmas!

Daniel

#4 iocxwl

iocxwl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:27 AM

Dear All:

I have set up a cell line 293, which was used for a stable transfection with pcDNA3.1/V5-HIS with a neomycin select gene. According to Invitrogen booklet, this antibiotics gene can be selected with Geneticin Selective reagent and a concentration of 100 to 1000 microgram/ml would be effective for the controll cells to die in 2-4 weeks. I used the Geneticin in 1000 microgram/ml concentration and now 5 weeks passed. Most of the control cells did not die even though last week I increased the concentration to 2000 microgram/ml. What is the problem? Can you give any advices on this matter?

Thank you very much.

#5 stardust

stardust

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 September 2009 - 04:49 AM

how confluent are your cells? G418 is not working properly if the cells are too dense. In this case I would advice one more passage directly into G418 containing medium.

Stardust

#6 Helios

Helios

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 November 2009 - 09:18 PM

according to me, you should have first checked the antibiotic concentration which is lethal to your cells by using different concentrations of your antibiotic and then checking your cell viability.......different cell lines have different susceptibility to the antibiotic....so what is recommended might not work well with your cells..you should standardise it yourself..

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.