• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Storage of 30% bis/acrylamide and SDS-PAGE gels

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SilverSta

SilverSta

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:30 PM

Hi,

How long can one store 30% bis/acrylamide mixture in the fridge? And do I need to store it in the dark?

Also, how long can I keep SDS-PAGE gels in the fridge before I load and run them?

Thanks.

#2 serglom

serglom

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:16 AM

only a few days, at dark and with humidity

#3 Simonsays

Simonsays

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2004 - 05:47 AM

The 30% bis/acrylamide mix can be stored for quite a long time (6 months without a problem), in the fridge, as long as you protect it from light... wrap your bottle in aluminium paper.
For a gel, I'd suggest not to prepare it more than one day prior to running samples. The best is to prepare it fresh. Still, if you want to cast it the day before, you put it in the "running box", with buffer, and soaked paper over it, every thing wraped in saranwrap, so every thing stay moist...
Hope I could help!!

Simon

#4 SilverSta

SilverSta

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 24 November 2004 - 04:51 PM

Thanks Simon and Serglom for answering my questions. Really appreciate it.

Jessica

Edited by SilverSta, 24 November 2004 - 04:53 PM.

#5 Sprag

Sprag

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Neutral

Posted 25 November 2004 - 09:47 AM

for good resolution on your PAGE, you should cast the staking gel fresh. This way you get the best shift in pH from the staking to the resolving gel, and that's the critical factor for getting really good sharp bands.
You can easily cast your resolving gels and keep them in the fridge, as long as you keep the gels moist so they don't evaporate as suggested, and its not a problem to keep them for a week or so.

good luck.

#6 sandrine cottin

sandrine cottin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 26 November 2004 - 06:31 AM

Hi,

I do store acrylamide 30% at the fridge in a bottle protected from light (brown biorad bottles) and I have stored acrylamide several months like that!

Concerning acrylamide gels, I prepare them (12% gels for separating gel and 4% for stacking gel) the day before and store them after polymerization, at 4C, with a parafilm on the top of the assembly system without removing combs.

Good luck
Sandrine

#7 SilverSta

SilverSta

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 December 2004 - 07:05 PM

Thanks Sandrine and Spraq for the info.

Jessica

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.