• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

sonication for ChIP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ti2004

ti2004

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 November 2004 - 02:12 AM

Hy!

I would like to sonicate eukaryotic cells in order to perform chromatin immunoprecipitation. Our sonicator is a warter bath- sonicator. Regulation of the amplitude or any other parameters is not possible. I can set only the time of the sonication (not the rests between them). I would like to receive advises about sonication protocols for ChIP with sonicators of that type. Thank you!

ti

#2 pcrman

pcrman

Epigenetist

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts
Excellent

Posted 01 November 2004 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

I have not worked with that type of sonicator. However, no matter what machine you use, you should run a preliminary experiment to determine the optimal condition. You can use the same number of cells you would use for formal experiment and do the sonication with different settings, then reverse crosslink the DNA, phenol/chloroform purify it and run a gel to see which setting give the best result.

During the sonication, keep your sample in a ice-water bath to reduce heat.

#3 sonix82

sonix82

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Neutral

Posted 12 November 2004 - 06:37 AM

Hi,

The sonicator you have is mainly used for cleaning. It will most likely not be strong enough to shear DNA to the base pair range you need. If you find that this is the case, you may want to check out actual sonicators as opposed to ultrasonic cleaning baths. The following is a link to Misonix, who sells sonicators for this application and can provide a lot of support for doing ChIP assay.

http://www.misonix.com/

#4 Hielscher_Ultrasonics

Hielscher_Ultrasonics

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Neutral

Posted 23 November 2009 - 08:05 AM

Hy!

I would like to sonicate eukaryotic cells in order to perform chromatin immunoprecipitation. Our sonicator is a warter bath- sonicator. Regulation of the amplitude or any other parameters is not possible. I can set only the time of the sonication (not the rests between them). I would like to receive advises about sonication protocols for ChIP with sonicators of that type. Thank you!

ti

Hi ti2004,

an ultrasonic cleaning tank is nice for cleaning but not very effective for ChIP. This is due to the very limited amplitude and distance between actuators and your sample.

You may want to have a look at our following products:

VialTweeter - Intensive Sonication Small Volumes

UIP250MTP - Sonication of Microtiter Plates

Have a nice day!

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.