Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

no template but still got exact size bands???!!!


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chester_ny

chester_ny

    member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:13 AM

i tried to do genotyping (fly transgene in mice)
with primer sets designed from transgene.
expected product size is 200-400 bps
I use Taq

my PCR cycle is 2 min 95 degree initiation
30 sec 95
40 cycle of 30 sec 58
1 min 72 elongation total
10 min 72 final elongation

i tried 20s sample , they all showed positive results (exact size bands)
it's strange
so i tried to run pcr with plasmid ,
with wildtype (wth the wildtype showed bands too! exact size !)

at final I run the PCR without template (heck , bands come as well )


I didn't do hotstart
should I go for hotstart?
or my reagent got contaminated? (so frustrated)

thanks for help

#2 mario2004

mario2004

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 30 September 2004 - 10:28 AM

Contamination should be ruled out first. I think 40 cycles are too many.

#3 RecklessTech

RecklessTech

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
1
Neutral

Posted 04 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have the same problem going on right now! I've run every contamination check possible and it's still happening. What are your Reaction concentrations?

#4 seanspotatobusiness

seanspotatobusiness

    Veteran

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
7
Neutral

Posted 05 February 2011 - 05:58 AM

Expected product size is 200-400 bp? Can't you be any more certain than that? If you use a higher percentage of agarose in your gel and run it at a lower voltage (e.g. 2% and 50-60 volts), you'll get better resolution. What about when you use water as a template?

#5 bob1

bob1

    Thelymitra pulchella

  • Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,784 posts
406
Excellent

Posted 06 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

I would say that your reagents are contaminated... and that probably more that one reagent is contaminated. You should throw all your reagents and start again (though you can keep the more expensive bits such as Taq and test it for contamination) - First, get clean water!(MilliQ or equivalent, or buy bottled water), make fresh dilutions of your primers, fresh dNTPs, fresh Mg2+ and buffer. Clean your pipettes well and keep a pipette separate which you only use to load gels, as this is usually where contamination comes from.




Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.