Jump to content

  • Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Problem with PCR on difficult template


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paja

Paja

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
3
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:46 AM

Hallo everybody,
I am trying to amplify (and eventually sequence) promoter region of my gene. The problem is high content of GC (73%). I tried almost everything possible and now I am without any new idea. :D Does somebody have some advice what else can I try before going into some special kits enabling PCR amplification of difficult templates? I found several such a helper kits but want to be sure I did all possible before buying some of them.

The whole amplicon is supposed to be 507 bp long. My primers were designed using Primer Express Software, forward primer has length 19 nucleotides, %GC 63, Tm 60C, reverse primer is 20 nucleotides long, %GC 60, Tm 60C.
The whole amplicon has Tm 89C, Ta 65C, and as I already mentioned % GC 73.

I am using AmpliTaq Gold polymerase (1u into 20 ul reaction), 3.5 mM Mg2+, 1000 nM final primer concentration,
First I ran my regular PCR cycling conditions: 96C for 13, than 35 x 96C for 20, Ta for 15, 72C for 30, final extension 72C for 1. Ta: 58C, 60C and 62C. All what I got was signal at annealing temperature 58C: 1 weak band around 300 bp, another one around 1000 bp, and two very weak bands 200 bp and 400 bp :unsure:

Then I changed cycling conditions the following way: 95C 13, than 35 x 96C for 40 to allow complete denaturation, Ta for 40, 68C for 2 and final extension at 68C for 10. Ta: 54C, 56C and 58C. Simultaneously I had serial dilution of primers: original 1000 nM, 600 nM and 200 nM I have read that high primer concentration may lead to formation duplex (of course) that traps all the polymerase. And because I tried also 3 concentrations of DMSO (0%, 5% and 10%) that inhibits Taq polymerase I assumed the trick with lowering primer concentration may help

And I got the following:

200 nM primers: 0
600 nM primers: terribly weak band around 110 bp when using 5% DMSO, but also in NTC so I assume this is just primer/dimmer/whatever mix
1000 nM primers: weak band around 110 bp everywhere (also in NTC) regardless Ta or % of DMSO used.

So, please, any suggestions?
Thank you so much in advance!
Paja

Edited by Paja, 15 September 2004 - 01:14 PM.


#2 Paja

Paja

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts
3
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2004 - 01:18 PM

Hmmm, it seems I scared you with detailed description of my troubles... :unsure:

#3 rassen

rassen

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2004 - 02:14 PM

Hi Paja,

Have you tried BD's Advantage GC PCR kit? You can find info about the kit here http://www.bdbioscie...antage-GC.shtml

It boasts of amplifying template with 90% GC content. I myself have not used this kit, but have used the GC-melt, a component of it.

I forgot to mention that Sigma's JumpStart RedTaq makes a big difference.

Rassen

Edited by rassen, 15 September 2004 - 11:13 PM.


#4 kant0008

kant0008

    Enthusiast

  • Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 15 September 2004 - 08:10 PM

Hi,
from personal experience AmpliTag is not a very good enzyme. At least in my hands it wasn't.
If I have problems with PCR using standard Taq (I use the one from Promega), then I go to Qiagen's HotStar. It works on most difficult templates. Also they provide something called Qsolution (some buffer I guess), which also can make a difference.
If you want to try with your Taq, add a little formamide or glycerol (work similarly to DMSO) they help with amplifying GCrich templates.
Good luck

#5 iamm

iamm

    member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 16 September 2004 - 08:31 AM

Hi,
I am the one suffering with this problem.. :(
however, when i tried with the resolution solut

#6 smesme

smesme

    member

  • Active Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 23 September 2004 - 01:33 AM

Hi Paja,

try using the 7-deaza-G analogue which decreases G:G binding affinity.

Also, in some cases it helps just to increase denaturation temperature (96-97 c) and maybe also denaturation time. You may need to add a little extra TaqPol as it degrades faster at this temperature. This increases denaturation of the difficult templates.

Sren

Sren M. Echwald, MSc., Ph.D.
-----------------------------
Exiqon A/S
Bygstubben 9
DK-2950 Vedbaek
Denmark

www.ProbeLibrary.com
One Real-time PCR kit, which covers 38.565 genes

#7 dadada

dadada

    member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
0
Neutral

Posted 08 October 2004 - 04:47 AM

Hi,

I had almost exaclty the same problem: a promoter of 466 bp, 73% GC content. It worked beautifully with Pfx using de 10xPCR enhancer solution. :P




Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.