• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo

Fungus ID Request

fungus sputum

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RodC

RodC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:14 AM

This is a digital image taken from my microscope of an organism in a sample of sputum. It looks to me like fungus, do you know what type of fungus it is.? If not, do you know where I can find the answer.

Attached Thumbnails

• Img00004.jpg

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
Excellent

Posted 16 December 2018 - 08:35 PM

Crystals of some sort of salt - not a fungus at all. Most likely caused by a solution drying on the surface of the slide or on the coverslip.

#3 RodC

RodC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 17 December 2018 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for your help, it's appreciated.

#4 RodC

RodC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:36 AM

I've attached clearer images taken from a different sputum sample but from the same source. It may be a completely different type of thing but it does look similar. Here it looks more organic than crystal.

The slide and microscope were clean before I put the sticky sputum on the slide. Interestingly when the sputum dried on the slide the structure of this growth was visible to the naked eye and the area of sputum was full of them.

Has anyone got any new ideas?

Attached Thumbnails

• MainSmall.jpg

#5 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,666 posts
Excellent

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:59 AM

The branch-like structures are salt crystals growing off the long object - if you can see it forming while you watch, it will almost never be a biological growth.

As to the long object, this could be any number of things, including debris from the cells in the lung, material that was in the mouth of the subject who provided the sample, hair (e.g. nasal)... etc.

#6 RodC

RodC

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Neutral

Posted 01 January 2019 - 11:28 AM

I'm convinced, thanks. Human tears where almost an exact match in a Google images search.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.