• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Preventing contamination in TBS/T (WB wash buffer)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts
Excellent

Posted 07 December 2018 - 03:04 AM

Hi,
we make our TBS/T stock like this:

50 ml 2M Tris pH7.6

70 g NaCl

8 ml Tween 20

dH2O up to 1 L

Now, twice already our stock wash got full of hairy mould. The first time the contamination was in the stock Tris as well, in some other buffers so I autoclaved all the bottles used for the next time.
But yesterday again, moulds. No other solution was afected this time. I don't think the stock Wash was opened more than a few times and expect normal circumstances.

I don't know what to do to prevent this, we don't do WB so often, so the stock may stay there for month or so. It is not very efficient get contamination again and again and remake it everytime before doing WB.

I wonder what can be improved. I'm not sure at all about the quality of our distilled water, but in other stocks it doesn't make such problems. I can have autoclaved dH2O. But what other options, can I autoclave TBS/T? Or just TBS and then add Tween later?

Thanks.

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

#2 Curtis

Curtis

Metaller Scientist

• Global Moderators
  • 1,197 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:29 AM

Can you keep it in a fridge?

#3 merlav

merlav

Veteran

• Active Members
  • 112 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:11 AM

I always use autoclaved bottles and water. Maybe the contamination comes from water. Make sure that the water dispenser is clean.  I clean the spigot with 10% clorox and a swab.  

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale.
Marie Curie

#4 OldCloner

OldCloner

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
Neutral

Posted Today, 08:57 AM

Do multiple users open the bottles?  I'd suggest aliquotting sterile stocks into smaller sterile containers in useful volumes- then open one aliquot once and use it all. or discard the leftover.

#5 mdfenko

mdfenko

an elder emeritus

• Active Members
  • 3,300 posts
Excellent

Posted Today, 11:31 AM

i always prepared my wb wash from stocks on the day that i used it. the stocks (tris and nacl concentrates) are stored in the fridge.

talent does what it can
genius does what it must
i do what i get paid to do

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.