• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Help with interview for microbiology internship for novice microbiologist!

microbiology lab interview

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dmjohn1337

dmjohn1337

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:53 AM

Hello, 

So I am wrapping up my Masters in environmental studies and I have a interview with a microbiology lab with the dept. of agriculture coming up. In general the position entails sample intake from a variety of agricultural products and analysis for a host of different diseases and contaminants. My Masters thesis and my course work mostly revolve around restoration ecology and botany, however a large component of my thesis involved measuring PLFA's (phospholipid fatty acids) as a biomarker for abundance of mycorrhizal fungi. I have really enjoyed the lab portion of my thesis work and would love the opportunity to pursue more lab-oriented work. I did not have a lot of lab experience going into this thesis (only general biology/chemistry, cell, and genetics in undergrad) but have learned a lot throughout this process. In my graduate program I took a disease ecology course that had a very mild lab component. Some examples of the work I have carried out for my thesis: use of polar and non-polar solvents for cleaning glassware, muffle furnace operation, n2 dry-down, extraction using solid phase extraction cartridges, use of internal and external standards, use of various pipettes and analytical balances, writing a large SOP, analysis on a GC-MS (gas chromatography - mass spec), and use of R statistical language. Anyhow what I am getting at is I have learned everything I needed to for this specific process but may be missing some 'fundamental' lab knowledge I will be quizzed on going into this interview. Can anyone point me towards a resource or have any pointers for me?

Many thanks!

-Aspiring microbiologist

P.S. I am a huge nerd and pick up new topics quickly so lay on the technical info!

Edited by dmjohn1337, 21 November 2018 - 10:55 AM.

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,668 posts
Excellent

Posted 26 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

I don't have any resources for you, but have confidence!

In my experience, they are interviewing 3 people at a maximum, and you have a good chance of getting this job.

I would make sure that you know the ins and outs of the techniques you are likely to use, and be prepared with some questions of your own about the lab/techniques that they use. It is most likely that they will provide on-the-job training on the specifics of the methodology used in their labs (this is normal), and that you will learn on the job.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: microbiology lab, interview

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.