• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Neomycin/Kanamycin Resistant gene

neomycin kanamycin resistant gene

Best Answer bob1, 11 May 2018 - 05:59 AM

You only need to use one - generally Kan is used as it is cheaper. The Neo gene also confers antibiotic resistance for eukaryotic cells, so that you can do selection of transfected cells.

I would use Kan at 50 ug/ml (not ug/ul as you have above - that would make a good stock concentration though for a 1:1000 dilution to working), but if you have a low copy number plasmid then you should use at 25 ug/ml.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Thomson

Thomson

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:34 PM

Hi, 

I've been given a plasmid, and the vector map shown the antibiotic resistance gene marked 'Neo/KanR'.

Just for confirmation does it mean the gene translation products can resistant to both Neomycin and Kanamycin. 

I only need to use either one antibiotic for selection purpose right?

Also, anyone know the suitable final concentration of Kanamycin to be used for selection?

Some told me 25 ug/ul, some told me 50 ug/ul. I was told too high might cause the bacteria to not able to grow at all.

Thanks

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,540 posts
Excellent

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:59 AM   Best Answer

You only need to use one - generally Kan is used as it is cheaper. The Neo gene also confers antibiotic resistance for eukaryotic cells, so that you can do selection of transfected cells.

I would use Kan at 50 ug/ml (not ug/ul as you have above - that would make a good stock concentration though for a 1:1000 dilution to working), but if you have a low copy number plasmid then you should use at 25 ug/ml.

#3 Thomson

Thomson

• Active Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
Neutral

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:13 PM

Thanks. Sorry for the typo. I'd try with 50ug/ml final concentration. ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neomycin, kanamycin, resistant gene

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.