• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

DNA precipictation at -80 went thick

DNA precipitation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Marigold77

Marigold77

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hi all,

I've just done normal DNA precipitation in a 50ml falcon (DNA in 10ml H20, 0.1 volume 3M NaAcOH, 2.5 volumes 100% Ethanol) and placed it at -80 for 3h. When I came to take it out it was all super thick. Has anyone seen anything like this before? This never happened to me at -20.

My DNA pellet yield after centrifugation was tiny so I left it at -20 now in hope that whatever did not precipitate at -80 due to the fact that the reaction went weirdly thick, will precipotate at -20 as usual. I'd appreciate any input.

#2 merlav

merlav

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Neutral

Posted 20 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

When I do DNA precipitation I use only the absolute alcohol (ethanol or isopropanol) and the NaAcOH, I don't add water.  I let it on -80C for a few hours or -20c O/N.  Then centrifuge, decant, 5mL of 70% EtOh (prepared with nuclease free water) flick or tap the tube, centrifuge, decant, place over a kimwipe,  then left it inside the biological cabinet or PCR working station for 10 min to dry all the alcohol. Resuspend with TE1x

Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.
Albert Einstein

I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale.
Marie Curie

#3 Trof

Trof

Brain on a stick

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
Excellent

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:34 AM

Is it supposed to be kept in -80 C?

This table shows freezing point of 70% ethanol alone at -48 C. I'd guess it is freezing so doesn't precipitate well then.

https://www.engineer...ater-d_989.html

Our country has a serious deficiency in lighthouses. I assume the main reason is that we have no sea.

I never trust anything that can't be doubted.

'Normal' is a dryer setting. - Elizabeth Moon

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.