• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

Transfer failure

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rkay447

rkay447

Veteran

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
Excellent

Posted 14 August 2017 - 01:07 PM

I just had a transfer fail in the sense that only the top band of the ladder transferred to the membrane (PVDF preactivated with methanol) and one single band of protein according to ponceau.  Meanwhile, I can see the pink of the lower ladder band on the whatman paper going the wrong way?!?!?  I am absolutely certain the transfer was electrophoresed in the proper orientation and according to my normal protocol.  But it looks like the top part of the gel transferred the correct direction and the bottom half the opposite direction?  I'm so confused and hoping someone has an answer.  Thank you!

#2 bob1

bob1

Thelymitra pulchella

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,387 posts
Excellent

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:34 AM

Sounds like either you had partial transfer and then loss of power (and recovery?) or there is something wrong with the buffer such that it is missing the ions necessary for the current to be maintained properly. Diffusion can also cause proteins to be transferred out of the gel onto filterpaper and membrane at the same time.

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.