• Log in with Facebook Log in with Twitter Log in with Windows Live Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account

Submit your paper to J Biol Methods today!
Photo
- - - - -

The not all easy task of secreting a protein in Pichia pastoris

heterologous expression

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 paramyosin

paramyosin

Enthusiast

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts
Neutral

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:35 AM

I would like to share my ideas about expression of extracellular proteins in P. pastoris just to know if you think the same.

As far as I am concerned, it is not so easy that a heterologous protein would be able to be secreted by the secretion machinery of P. pastoris. Even if you use the well-known pre-pro alpha factor of commercial vectors such as pPICZalpha and pPIC9alpha. Sometimes it is necessary to maintain the leader peptide of the heterologous protein downstream the alpha factor, sometimes it is not necessary. And even more difficult, in case your heterologous protein is a pre-pro-protein.

It is very frequent that your protein stays locked in some place in a middle way like ER or Golgi or membrane vesicles. In cases you do not find expression of your heterologous protein in Pichia, I would recommend to perform a western blot to the Pichia pellets and boalá!!, you can find your protein there. Thus, it would not be an expression problem, it would be a proper secretion problem.

Could you share your experience in this regard?  thank you very much!!

"Research without indebtedness is suspect, and somebody must always, somehow, be thanked." Umberto Eco

Home - About - Terms of Service - Privacy - Contact Us

©1999-2013 Protocol Online, All rights reserved.